Flock with respiratory issues

Lil_kim_14

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2018
Hi. I have a flock of about 30 chickens. I am down with a fractured patella....my husband picked up 3 araucanas last weekend and just threw them in with the flock and a handful are now showing respiratory signs, gasping, rattling, sneezing. Also, egg production has plummeted.
Need advice on treatment. Had my daughter do vetrx rub on visibly sick chickens and do the spray bottle method on everyone else. Looking into tylan 50 or 200. Orally would be preferred, as I will need husband and daughter to do treatment. Please advise.

Hi. I have a flock of about 30 chickens. I am down with a fractured patella....my husband picked up 3 araucanas last weekend and just threw them in with the flock and a handful are now showing respiratory signs, gasping, rattling, sneezing. Also, egg production has plummeted.
Need advice on treatment. Had my daughter do vetrx rub on visibly sick chickens and do the spray bottle method on everyone else. Looking into tylan 50 or 200. Orally would be preferred, as I will need husband and daughter to do treatment. Please advise.
Sorry to hear that you are laid up.
Where are you located in the world? (state/country)
It sounds like the new birds brought in a respiratory illness - Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT are a few of the more common illnesses. If you are in California or Utah, Newcastle disease is also a possibility due to an outbreak.

You can try the Tylan50 to see if it helps. Mycoplasma responds fairly well to antibiotic treatment. Keep in mind, that birds may be carriers all their life even when recovered they can pass on whatever illness you are dealing with. During times of stress (molting, integrations, sharp weather changes, etc.) birds can become symptomatic.

Dosage for Tylan50 is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Here's some reading about diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Here's how to give oral medications:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

If you happen to lose any, it would be wise to refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing so you know what you are dealing with.

Please, if you are in California, quarantine your flock. Riverside, San Bernardino and parts of Los Angeles counties are all under quarantine. We cannot move any birds on or off our properties. There are no chicks being sold in the feed stores and over 60,000 birds, mostly backyard flocks, have been put down. In my small community there was an outbreak of illness in a flock last week because someone who did not get the memo picked up free hens in San Bernardino (ground zero for the outbreak) and within three days her whole flock began to die. We are waiting for confirmation as to whether or not it is Newcastle's. That information will not be released for a few more days due to the large number of cases currently being tested. We all are on tenterhooks hoping that we will not be ordered to submit to mandatory euthanasia.
It is very frustrating that this has been going on since last May and the efforts to get the word out to people have not been as vigorous as the euthanasia programs have been. A few PSA's would have been a good idea. We pass out flyers in the feed store, and most people say that they had no idea.
I also should add that there has been a confirmed case in Utah County, Utah. It traces back to San Bernardino, so for folks near there, precautions are in order.
I surely hope that your birds will recover. I have had good results with Oxine used as a vapor treatment for fungal respiratory symptoms, if that's what you have going on. The Oxine penetrates better if a tablespoon or two of 99% DMSO is added to the Oxine solution in the humidifier-good luck.

Last edited:
Pull the new chickens out of the flock and separate them quickly. Your others have been exposed probably, but it might lessen the chances of the rest getting sick. Is it just the new birds showing symptoms? Clean and disinfect all waterers and feeders with 10% bleach water, and rinse well. Clean up poops and think about changing bedding. As WR said, Tylan can be helpful to treat MG symptoms. Coryza may require sulfa antibiotics. Viruses, such as IB or ILT and others will run it’s course, and antibiotics would not be necessary. Since you cannot diagnose without testing or a necrospy, it doesn’ hurt to treat.

Tylan 50 injectable can be given 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) 3 times a day orally for 3-5 days. If you cannot dose 3 times a day, at least give twice a day. Tylan 200 is more expensive and is 4 times the potency, so divide the dosage by 4. If you have a regular vet who could prescribe Tylan Soluble Powder for you as a favor, that would be easier to give in the water. I would only treat the sick birds. Honestly, I would take the new birds back, but that is up to you. Get a necropsy if one dies, and you can contact your state vet here:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I am in NY. The new chickens are showing no signs, just a number of mine.
That's unfortunate.

Try the Tylan50 to see if it help your flock. I agree, if you need to treat quite a few birds, soluble Tyaln50 from the vet may be easier to administer, but often times sick birds don't drink enough either.

If you lose any, then it would be worth having testing to find out what you are dealing with. Refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/

Back
Top Bottom