Flock won’t go in the coop at night

MAchicken105

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a small bantam flock of pullets that have decided to no longer go in the coop at night.

They have a 12x14 8 ft tall run and a 4x8 coop for reference.

In the summer I started leaving the coop door open for more airflow even though there are open windows and plenty of ventilation. They quickly learned they can just sleep outside in their run up on the rafters.

Now it’s getting colder and they are still sleeping outside. I live in MA where the winters are decently cold and windy. It’s nice not having to clean my coop out because they don’t use it at all but should I really let them be? I wrap 3 sides of the run in sheeting plastic during the winter.
9AC0B22A-DAAF-491A-AEB4-CBD078636688.jpeg

I suggest that at night you put treats inside so that they feel more comfortable, and learn to go inside. You may have to lock them in a few nights so that they start to understand where they should be roosting. If that does not work physically put them inside at night, and cover up the rafters with chicken wire so they can't even get up there.

What beautiful birds! Are you worried for their health or safety, or just thinking they’d be more comfortable in the coop?

I’m wondering if the girls will go inside on their own as it gets colder. It does look like they have a nice setup. I’ll follow your thread to see what the more experienced keepers have to say about it.
Thank you!!! Not worried about their safety as far as predators are concerned, I just don’t want them to freeze!

They will go inside if they want out of the cold. If your run is secure... then I would let them be. But that's just me ;) If they have used their coop before, then they know what its for.... when that first cold winter wind hits them square in the butt, I bet they go inside.
Now, if theyve never roasted in the coop before.... show them what it's for by physically moving them in at dusk.

They will go inside if they want out of the cold. If your run is secure... then I would let them be. But that's just me ;) If they have used their coop before, then they know what its for.... when that first cold winter wind hits them square in the butt, I bet they go inside.
Now, if theyve never roasted in the coop before.... show them what it's for by physically moving them in at dusk.
That’s what I’d like to do, just let them be. They used to roost in the coop no problem until they figured it was higher and more fun to be in the run.
This is my first bantam flock and wasn’t sure if they are more fragile than standards. I think I’ll just leave them and see how it goes...just don’t want to have to deal with frostbite. Predators won’t be an issue this run is very secure.
Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom