Flocking to BedStuy

IrmaLight

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
Brooklyn NY
I've recently gotten my chicken on - first with 2 silver laced wyandotte, used the holiday weekend to beef up my holdings to the tune of 3 "Cochins". I just can't stop looking @ my lovely ladies & I look forward to the words of wisdom I will no doubt enjoy on this wonderful site.

Welcome and congratulations on getting started! I'm pretty new myself to chickens and BYC but I can say I am on here CONSTANTLY.

I use the search function a lot as much of what I want to know, someone already wrote about. So for example, I'm at the stage where my pullets are starting to lay so I searched on "pullets use nest box" and found loads of threads on this topic filled with advice on how to teach pullets to use the nest box.Or, I found what I thought was a tape worm in my chicken's poo so I searched on "worms" and again, loads of threads including pictures.

Once I learn all there is already published on a topic, if my specific question isn't answered, I post my own question. I always get GREAT answers as many experienced people are willing to help new people like us. You start to learn who has expertise and interest in different areas. For example, it seems like Donrae is great at breeds and sexing young chickens, Ridgerunner is great a behaviors (mating, broodiness, good rooster behavior, integration of flocks), Dawg53 is very knowledable about worms, Walkingonsunshine annd Fred's Hens are good at a lot of different areas, etc. These people each know loads and loads of other things too of course, but my point is you start to know who knows what and you start to trust different people as you try what they suggest and recommend. I also follow these people and others by subscribing to them so whenever they post anything, I get an email with their comments. This way, I'm always learning from the experts.

Then, I try to answer questions for people asking things I know about and have experienced. I try to return the favor so to speak, to help others out for things I've been through myself.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure out the best way to use BYC to meet your needs but I thought this might help you leverage it and the expertise of all these really kind and helpful people. I don't know what I'd do without them. I can say for sure without these people and BYC I'd have a much less happy and healthy flock and I'd be stressed trying to figure everything out by trial and error.

Great luck to you and again, welcome!
Guppy

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, IrmaLight, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your flock!

Back
Top Bottom