Flocks first winter

Atzle

Hatching
Nov 11, 2020
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello from Utah! I am fairly new to chickens. My family had them when I was a kid but of course I didn't pay much attention. Now I am going into my first winter with my new flock. I have 2 each of Barred Rock, Golden Sex Link, and Easter Eggers. My coop is contained so the chickens can roost outside or inside if they wish. Took them some months to figure out they could roost outside and after that they never spend the night in the hen house. Now that it's getting cold I keep waiting for them to start sleeping inside the hen house but still nothing. Do I need to lock them inside for a night or two so they realize they can sleep in there to keep warm or will they figure it out? I have attached a picture so you can see what I am talking about. The hen house has a lot of ventilation. It's hard to see but the entire ceiling of the coop and hen house is made of framed hardware cloth. I have a heat lamp in there for when it gets really cold but I am not using it yet.

Attachments

• Coop.jpg
    Coop.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 16
I agree ^^. When they don't lay where I want or roost where I want, I just block off or remove where they want, their second choice is almost always where I do want.

If they are months old, they do not need a heat lamp. They need to be dry and out of the wind.

Mrs K

Welcome to BYC! @Atzle
Pics of inside of coop, please.
Any windows in there for light?
Is the feed and water inside the coop?

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1605182966306.png

I agree ^^. When they don't lay where I want or roost where I want, I just block off or remove where they want, their second choice is almost always where I do want.

If they are months old, they do not need a heat lamp. They need to be dry and out of the wind.

Mrs K
I have done that with where they lay but didn't occur to me on roosting. Thanks!

There are two windows in the hen house for light. And so I can spy on my birds hehe. They are so much fun to watch. They also get some light from above. The food and water are outside under the hen house. I have a heater in the water so it wont freeze. I also have a light outside to help with laying during the winter. The pics are old, from when I first built the coop. The one is through the nesting box door. The girls have been laying since July. I had a run outside the coop, blocked off from the garden, during the summer that they used. And now they have the run of the garden and the compost pile. I turn the compost over regularly so they have something to work on as well as digging in the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom