Floki started laying!!!

Fenris Lupa

Songster
9 Years
Aug 14, 2014
South of Chicago
Well she is only 4 1/2 months old, and really didn't expect her to start laying for another month or so.

But her first lay happened on the 3rd at 0545.....and like expected was a total surprise.

For some reason, well we kno at least one now....Floki just wouldn't go to sleep. It was a cooler night out, so we turned the air off, but she still seemed to stay hot...panting when laying down, even when we have her on a wet rag....((which usually keeps her cool...so she knows to go to the tray with the wet rag to cool off))

But she would lay down....get up and walk around...peep...peep...and peep....then fall asleep standing up.

Nights when she doesn't sleep, I stay up with her...my husband just happened to not sleep either.

But around 0515 she goes and lays by my husband, which she does all the time...but she started kicking her feet back, then stand up...and repeat...and I recognized the feet kicking was her trying to make the nest right...

But the next thing we kno, she stands up and out comes a ping-pong sized egg!

But the second day she started laying normal eggs...

But now she lays everyday between 0315 and 0345....so early...but so worth it

Well she is only 4 1/2 months old, and really didn't expect her to start laying for another month or so.

But her first lay happened on the 3rd at 0545.....and like expected was a total surprise.

For some reason, well we kno at least one now....Floki just wouldn't go to sleep. It was a cooler night out, so we turned the air off, but she still seemed to stay hot...panting when laying down, even when we have her on a wet rag....((which usually keeps her cool...so she knows to go to the tray with the wet rag to cool off))

But she would lay down....get up and walk around...peep...peep...and peep....then fall asleep standing up.

Nights when she doesn't sleep, I stay up with her...my husband just happened to not sleep either.

But around 0515 she goes and lays by my husband, which she does all the time...but she started kicking her feet back, then stand up...and repeat...and I recognized the feet kicking was her trying to make the nest right...

But the next thing we kno, she stands up and out comes a ping-pong sized egg!

But the second day she started laying normal eggs...

But now she lays everyday between 0315 and 0345....so early...but so worth it
She's adorable be sure she is getting plenty of calcium in the form of oyster shell, kale, romaine lettuce etc.

She's adorable be sure she is getting plenty of calcium in the form of oyster shell, kale, romaine lettuce etc.

I've heard of the oyster shells....that'll really good for ducks....were can I buy them?

And yep....since she started I've been upping the calcium.

And thank you....she's our baby

I've heard of the oyster shells....that'll really good for ducks....were can I buy them?

And yep....since she started I've been upping the calcium.

And thank you....she's our baby

Where you buy your feed for her should have oyster shell. and since she is a house duck you might want to offer her some chick grit too. I put oyster shell and grit in separate bowls and they eat what they need. TSC has smaller bags of Oyster shell and grit too so you don't have to buy large bags of it. They need grit to be able to chew[process] their food since they don't have teeth. She maybe getting enough since you take her out daily but during winter if you get snow she may not be able to get it. Thats when i offer grit to mine even though they are outside ducks because it's hard to find sometimes when the ground is covered. or frozen.
smile.png
Have you eaten her eggs?

Where you buy your feed for her should have oyster shell. and since she is a house duck you might want to offer her some chick grit too. I put oyster shell and grit in separate bowls and they eat what they need. TSC has smaller bags of Oyster shell and grit too so you don't have to buy large bags of it. They need grit to be able to chew[process] their food since they don't have teeth. She maybe getting enough since you take her out daily but during winter if you get snow she may not be able to get it. Thats when i offer grit to mine even though they are outside ducks because it's hard to find sometimes when the ground is covered. or frozen. :) Have you eaten her eggs?

That is awesome info....thank you I appreciate it!

And oh yes....we were a little apprehensive at first, but we couldn't believe how good they were.....better then chicken eggs.

My husband's been eating them for breakfast and on his cheeseburgers.

Where you buy your feed for her should have oyster shell. and since she is a house duck you might want to offer her some chick grit too. I put oyster shell and grit in separate bowls and they eat what they need. TSC has smaller bags of Oyster shell and grit too so you don't have to buy large bags of it. They need grit to be able to chew[process] their food since they don't have teeth. She maybe getting enough since you take her out daily but during winter if you get snow she may not be able to get it. Thats when i offer grit to mine even though they are outside ducks because it's hard to find sometimes when the ground is covered. or frozen. :) Have you eaten her eggs?

Oh and since I do have her outside a lot now....is there any ideas you might have for getting her ready to be inside more now that winter is coming?

I put up s topic on it....but no responses yet....

Back
Top Bottom