Flooding in chicken run

I love your flock!:love
It looks as though they have outgrown the size of the run. This might be a chore but might be a golden opportunity to make both, a slightly larger run as well as fill in higher with a previously suggested fill from the other members recommendations.
I see a lot of trees=shade= less sun= long term wetness. Is the chicken house/run on the west side of your people house? In other words, does it get afternoon sun or only morning sun since it is backed against your home?
:caf

Before the rains came pic...
IMG_20170724_161407.jpg

I love your flock!:love
It looks as though they have outgrown the size of the run. This might be a chore but might be a golden opportunity to make both, a slightly larger run as well as fill in higher with a previously suggested fill from the other members recommendations.
I see a lot of trees=shade= less sun= long term wetness. Is the chicken house/run on the west side of your people house? In other words, does it get afternoon sun or only morning sun since it is backed against your home?
:caf

The chicken coop is on the south east. We do plan on cutting down some of the trees in the spring. They get a lot of afternoon sun.

WHAT KIND OF BARK DID YOU USE?.. I would like to try some of it. If is softer than what we used last time!
:caf:):)
I just got this
https://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-70l-pine-bark-mulch_p2980101
It is spread over a large area, the girls don't hang about on it all the time, they do dig it in, and the rest of the run is sandy (except when it rains which we don't get an awful lot of). You can also get a finer mulch which they call "playground mulch" and that's soft/softer (it's for little kids to fall on)https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinegro-50l-playground-mulch_p2962063
But what we can get here might not be the same as where you are so it may not be that helpful.

We do plan on cutting down some of the trees in the spring.
ooh, you could keep the mulch and use it in the run.

Wow, you got it pretty bad!!
I was depressed from it. I got over it. Close to breaking record since they started keeping records.
I have (we) spent so much $ on animal health care this year than feed. My Vet probably rolls her eyes when she sees my number pop up on her caller id :lau.
It is what it is now. I am emotionally stable but my wallet is in the I.C.U. on life support!
We lost Goats/Swine/poultry (in low numbers) from lack of dryness.
That is how I can relate to @Varrington 's concerns in their run. I feel compassion for folks dealing with soggy wet situations! It is frustrating and engulfs you.
Anyway.. Season is almost over..
I hope @Varrington can solve the problem without shelling out too much $. :)

Back
Top Bottom