Flooding Run

Layla1223

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Idaho
Hi, these past few days we have been having pouring rain and now about half if not more of my run has 1 1/2 inces of water in it. What can I do?
hide.gif
Should I lock them in their coop untill I can fix it? I know having such wet ground isn't good for their feet. Any help and suggestions are welcome! Thank you

Hello Layla!

What is the run consist of--is it dirt? Sand is wonderful if you get alot of rain. Just buy a nice big load of sand, and shovel it in there. It drains nicely, and it's just so much better than mud mud mud.

What's the weather like in Idaho? (I'm geographically challenged) LOL If it's chilly, then it would be a good idea to keep your chickens out of standing water.

We got 1/2 an inch one night, then an 1 1/4 inches next night. So Almost 2 inches this last weekend. My runs are muddy. As far as your question, don't worry, it will eventually dry up. And it won't hurt them that much.

Thank you. Yes, my run is dirt. The weather depends on the season. Right now it's in the 40's or 50's with lots of wind and rain, we could be getting snow soon too.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
My run is muddy right now, too. I have pavers every few feet for ME, and the chickens do use them.
big_smile.png
But they also stand in water, they've stood in puddles before, even in cool weather.

I liked looking at the chicken tracks in the mud that wasn't covered with water.

Mine free range, and the only really mucky area is IN the run, due to their having been contained in it for several months before I started letting them out every day.

Water should drain after a while.... is ALL of it under water???

Quote:
Pavers are a good idea! We have a whole bunch of those. Unfortunatly mine can't free range during the day because they go visit our neighbors, so only when they can be supervised.

Not all of it is under water but I would bet that by morning most of it will be under water. Right now it is raining super hard.

Quote:
My dad was thinking that as a temporary fix we could put pallets in there.

I was planning to remove the pallets, but after seeing them standing and sitting on them, I think I'll leave a few in there. I had some firewood stacked on them and am just getting around to burning it.

Today I spent a long time fixing a temporary run extension with nice fresh grass, complete with hawk netting overhead. I came back 5-6 hours later. They had dug up all the grass and turned it to mud! (It was approximately 5 x 10 feet.)

barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom