Flooding:Wisconsin,Iowa,Illinois,Missouri,others

Quote:
Yeah, it is awful. Columbus Junction just gave up trying to save the water supply. And more Louisa County towns were required to evacuate. We are lucky and live up high out in the county. We have our own well water and so far we can make it into Washington just fine if we need anything. We normally go to Iowa City every Sat. but we are staying out of the way of everyone and not doing any shopping there right now. We went to Wappalo garage sales today and the river is about out and bridges across the river were closed for safety reasons. It was kinda weird people racing to save town and then having garage sales. We were only there as we needed some supplies from their farm store and we stayed out of the way of all the people hauling sand and sand bags and moving their stuff to higher ground. If I did not have a bad arm I would be helping all I could. I also wish we had a reliable truck so people could borrow it to move. It's suppossed to crest in Columbus Junction on Monday breaking the 1993 record. The Angus farm down the road from me has all the cattle up on high ground. The lower pasture is several feet deep in water from the creek that runs into the river being backed up.

Quote:
We saw footage of Iowa City and Cedar Rapids on our local news tonight. We're hoping to hear from SIL and family who live in Iowa City. Don't know if they're up high or not. No answer at the house. Trying to find SIL's cell #. aaaaaahhhh!

Quote:
We saw footage of Iowa City and Cedar Rapids on our local news tonight. We're hoping to hear from SIL and family who live in Iowa City. Don't know if they're up high or not. No answer at the house. Trying to find SIL's cell #. aaaaaahhhh!

I hope you get through to them and hope they are ok. I'll pray you can contact them and they are safe.

Last edited:
Columbus Junction is giving out bottled water right now at the High School. The National Guard has all the roads that lead into town closed so I'm not even sure what town looks like now. All the stores in town are closed so if you need anything you have to find a way around the road closures to get to another town. On the side of town we are on we can get out through gravel roads and drive 15-20 min. into Washington if we need to. I just feel awful for all the town people. My landlord's son was down there with their equipment trying to help save the water supply when they called everyone off the job. Water was leaching through the train tracks and there was no way to save the water supply for the town. In Iowa City they are racing to save the university is the latest news on tv. I recongnize the places being flooded as we go through there about once a week and the images on tv look awful.
sad.png
Pretty much all the midwest is affected by this one way or another. Eventually everyone will be affected since so many fields are being ruined feed and food prices are going to rise. I am fortunate our house will not be affected by the flood waters but I fell just awful for everyone who has lost their homes, businesses, jobs, ect. because of the flood waters.

The 5 pm news just showed the flooded Iowa City Iowa State University campus. The crest came earlier than expected. Dorms flooded and had to evacuate:( As far as I know everyone there is safe though so that's good news.

Last edited:
Quote:

I hope you get through to them and hope they are ok. I'll pray you can contact them and they are safe.

SIL called a little while ago. They are fine, house is safe. A little difficult getting around but they are very lucky. They've been out helping to sand bag.

Henrietta23 glad to hear your SIL is safe
smile.png

farmgirlie1031 yeah I saw the news but it must be much worse first hand like that. I am sorry to hear that. I could hardly believe the pictures of water up to the top of the street name signs. People were evacuating a bunch of antique books? I think from a museum?. or something. It is going to take a long long time to clean up. Glad your dad did get to stay home. take care

Last edited:
On the Lerher news it was reported that 20% of soybeans and corn fields have been destroyed and the price of corn is already going up.

It will be a long time for people to get back into their homes if they ever do.

More immediate is the danger to the people below Cedar Rapids now where the river hasnt surged yet. St Louis is supposed to crest on Friday at 39 feet.

Iowa sounds like a major disaster area. They also said that the 1993 flood pales in comparison to this flood. OOH boy. Not good.

Illinois sounds bad too. And I heard it is raining up north.

How is everybody doing?
hugs.gif

farmgirlie1031 and greenmulberry how is it on the front line?

Back
Top Bottom