Flooding:Wisconsin,Iowa,Illinois,Missouri,others

I am so sorry
sad.png

I am not familiar at all with any of the towns you're in. I did get to go to Iowa once, loved it. Flew into Des Moines and drove to Creston. Are you close by there at all?

Last edited:
farmgirlie, What kind of help are you getting? When Hurricane Floyd flooded us the Red Cross came and gave out mops and bleach and all kinds of clean-up stuff. Also the county health department gave out tetanus shots free to all residents because of the risk of tetanus from the dirty water. Are your family's shots up-to-date? I feel your pain. I hope I never have to see my house surrounded by water again.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Tyson plant is letting the town use their water supply. They have their own water tower that was unaffected by the flood. The red cross is helping people who need it. The town's water supply should be clean and running again soon they hope. We don't have city water though, we have our own well.

The water in town is now down 6 feet.
smile.png
But it is flooding more and more places down river:( The National Guard is still in town also.

I haven't had a shot since 1994 but I am not walking in any of the flood water downtown either (they won't let anyone down there for any reason) so it's ok. My mother and I are just staying home out here in the country but my poor dad took 4 hours to get home from work last night with all the detours and traffic:(

I found another site with photos: http://www.kenpurdy.com/FloodWeb/Flood.html

The fair grounds are totally under water so I doubt we have our fair next month. Hopefully we can get the businesses downtown back up and running so people don't have to drive 15-45 min. or more depending on what they need. We ran out of bread and I said lets just run down and get some and then I remembered we can't just run down to the store and get some because the store is flooded:( Our nearest grocery store is 15 miles away now but I guess if we really had to have the bread we could have got it 8 miles away at the gas station. Sorry for such a long reply.

I was watching the news yesterday and they showed 3 pigs stuck ontop of a barn. Those poor things were bright red from sunburn, and one was already dead.

It made me sick to see that. And, to think that nobody went out on a boat and tried to rescue those pigs.

Gayes Milles in Wisconsin is trying to decide if they want to move the town or not. Last August there were some aweful floods too and Gayes Milles got it really bad then too.

That is about 150 miles south of me.

Also there was 2 fairly new up and coming organic farms that raised vegetables (CSA's) and they got wiped out last August anfd again 2 weeks ago. That is way so bad, I am not sure what they will be doing.

Farmer Kitty these must be about 1/2 way between you and me.

I went to Iowa City yesterday. Driving through my own town and all the other flooded towns and parts of Iowa City was so sad. I just wanted to cry. People were emptying out all the businesses and food joints on one stretch of road in Iowa City that the road just opened back up on. It was such a sad scene. Several roads there are still closed but we were able to get to the grocery store and Target and the hunting/camping supply store to get some items. It was my first real outing in over 2 weeks. Seeing it on the news is one thing but seeing it in person is totally different.

Back
Top Bottom