Floor Ideas?

Quote:
I used an old piece of corian countertop and placed it about 18" below the roost. I lined it with vinyl flooring (since I thought it was a shame to have chickens pooping on corian) and then placed newspaper on top of all that. When I clean, all I have to do is roll up the newspaper and either shake it out in the garden or bag it and throw it in the garbage. Takes me 5-10 minutes twice a week to clean up after 12 birds.

Pictures on post #35 of this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565476&p=4

Last edited:
Quote:
I used an old piece of corian countertop and placed it about 18" below the roost. I lined it with vinyl flooring (since I thought it was a shame to have chickens pooping on corian) and then placed newspaper on top of all that. When I clean, all I have to do is roll up the newspaper and either shake it out in the garden or bag it and throw it in the garbage. Takes me 5-10 minutes twice a week to clean up after 12 birds.

Pictures on post #35 of this thread:http: //www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565476&p=4

Thank you for your "how-to". I'm able to scoop directly and from there to my compost tumbler. --jim

I finally succeeded in my quest to find a coop floor liner for cheap or free!

A friend suggested using those huge Tyvek "tarps" that cover lumber when it's being shipped. The local lumberyard was happy to give me a few. I picked out the biggest one with the fewest tears, repaired the tears with duct tape (the handyman's friend!), and lined my 8' x 19' coop with it. It was big enough to run it up the walls a foot or two, so no shavings get betwee. I watched for a few days to make sure the birds weren't ripping it with their claws; no problem.

Next spring, I'll just pull the entire thing out with the shavings and poop, empty it into the compost pile, and either hose the old tarp over or start over with a clean one!

And it was FREE!!!

Back
Top Bottom