Floor material for chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by laurie9503, Jul 22, 2011.

1. laurie9503

laurie9503 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Can anyone tell me what the desired material is for the chicken run. Mine is a combination of some grass that's barely hanging in there, dirt, and I put grit by the door. I've noticed that some runs look like they might use sand or rock. Thanks.

2. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I put sand in mine and it is great. They enjoy dusting in it too. [​IMG] It is so easy to scoop the poop out, I just go through once a day with a kitty litter scooper. The poo stinks less too coated in sand! Thank goodness! [​IMG]
    I hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    The grass will not last very long. We have found that the best, by far, is sand. It is the easiest to take care of. Sometimes I just wash it down and rake it and it is like new and sometimes I add more sand. It keeps everything really nice and clean and there is a lot less flies.

4. laurie9503

laurie9503 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Yes, I now see that there is another post all about run floors. It looks like the best floors are either play sand or large ponderosa chips. What's the cost of sand and does one have a truckload delivered usually?

5. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    S A N D !!! [​IMG]

6. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I use sand as well. You can either get a few bags from Home Depot etc or inquire about getting a truckload delivered depending on how big your area is.

7. LCEchickens

LCEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    We love the sand in our run!! We went to a local quarry and paid about $24 for two bobcat scoops full of river sand. A bit more than we needed for 8x8 run, but the girls love digging through it and taking dust baths in it. I might start using it inside the coop as well!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's no real need to add anything unless you're having drainage problems.

Plain dirt is fine as long as it's dry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by