Floor of run

DuckDodgers

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
So I will be ordering 3 chickens in April 1 Welsummer rooster and 2 hens with him. First off how much space in their run do they need ( i.e. Sq-ft per bird)? Second their run will have a roof on it so they can go out in the rain, since I have heard chickens don't like to get wet. So my second question is, what is a good material to use as the floor of their run? I am looking for something that does not have to be cleaned very often and is inexpensive that is fun for them to dig around in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 sf per bird is the recommended space, and sand for the run, I used a boarder of 2x6's with weed fabric and wire so the sand is about 5 inches deep, they love to dust bath and easy clean up with a cat litter scoop and a rake.

10 sf per bird is the recommended space, and sand for the run, I used a boarder of 2x6's with weed fabric and wire so the sand is about 5 inches deep, they love to dust bath and easy clean up with a cat litter scoop and a rake.

Do you ever have to change the sand or just scoop the top and then rake it? Also do they use the sand as a dust bath or do they use something else?
Thanks for your response!
DuckDodgers

I have had it for a year now and have never changed it out just use the cat litter scoop and then I rake it around to get the scratched in poop out, they use the sand to dust no need for anything else, I put landscape fabric down to keep the ground from eating up the sand over time and then I put welded wire on top of the fabric to prevent anything digging in.

I have had it for a year now and have never changed it out just use the cat litter scoop and then I rake it around to get the scratched in poop out, they use the sand to dust no need for anything else, I put landscape fabric down to keep the ground from eating up the sand over time and then I put welded wire on top of the fabric to prevent anything digging in.

Great thanks I will most likely do that.

Back
Top Bottom