floor space vs roost space

no just old garage nothing in it has plenty of ventilation probably to much
No such thing as "too much ventilation" in a chicken coop. Though there is certainly "too much draft". High heat environments favor open air coops - imagine replacing the entire carage door with chain link and hardware cloth, so the entire "door" is open space, and you still have a less well ventilated coop than many make in your conditions. and unless that opening faces right into your prevailing winter wind, that's how I would go about converting an unused garage.

Good luck with your build.

No such thing as "too much ventilation" in a chicken coop. Though there is certainly "too much draft". High heat environments favor open air coops - imagine replacing the entire carage door with chain link and hardware cloth, so the entire "door" is open space, and you still have a less well ventilated coop than many make in your conditions. and unless that opening faces right into your prevailing winter wind, that's how I would go about converting an unused garage.

Good luck with your build.
it has openings on both ends in the winter its like a really cold wind tunnel

it has openings on both ends in the winter its like a really cold wind tunnel
Might need to look into baffles or other wind buffers to slow the wind down (while still allowing air to flow through) if it's really causing a wind tunnel effect. Draft is problematic as it ruffles chicken feathers, causing them to lose heat.

Might need to look into baffles or other wind buffers to slow the wind down (while still allowing air to flow through) if it's really causing a wind tunnel effect. Draft is problematic as it ruffles chicken feathers, causing them to lose heat.

yeah I will wall up both ends and install window that open with hardware cloth on the outside to control the air movement

yeah I will wall up both ends and install window that open with hardware cloth on the outside to control the air movement
If it gets hot in the summer there, you're probably better off leaving the option of being able to open at least one wall.

Depending on the nature of the existing openings, there's various options to keep ventilation open while buffering drafts. Photos in and out of the ventilation and general set up of the garage can help garner more specific advice.

Post some pics of the situation.
and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1642946475422.png

Back
Top Bottom