Flooring for chicken coop

S.glenn

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 6, 2007
This is my second post to this site and really appreciate any and all advice given. We're building a small barn/coop in preparation for chickens in the spring and are looking for suggestions for flooring. I've heard that chicken manure will rot a floor, so should we put a subfloor on top of our 3/4" OSB? If so, what would be best? Also, should we paint the floor for easier cleaning or would a water-based deck paint be toxic to chickens?
Thank you in advance.

I've seen a lot of people on here put linoleum down, I might try that in my new coop. Then it would be easy to just sweep out.

I think if you clean it regularly a wood floor wouldn't rot, unless you just let the manure pile up on it. The moisture from it would be the problem.

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

We used a linoleum remnant to cover the wood floor of our kids playhouse coop. Easy to clean and keeps the mess off of the wood.

linoleum.jpg

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

I have a large garden shed that I converted to a henhouse, it has a wooden floor...I have no problems with rottening...my coop is cleaned twice a month in good weather and in the winter it has gone 2 or 3 months depending on how cold it is...I just use a deep litter method then... use dry stall and DE to help with the moisture....

Some use linoleum that works too...

just keep shavings down you will be alright....

Yep, shavings over wood is the way to go. I've done it for years. I also sprinkle the shavings fairly heavily with DE to help keep it dry. I do think that sealing the OSB would make it easier to clean, however. I'd just use a glossy outdoor paint. I used it on the walls of one of my coops to keep the humidity out of the OSB and it works just fine. Once it's dry it doesn't bother the birds at all.

Back
Top Bottom