Flooring help please

RavenStorm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Southern CA
Hey peoples, my dad finally finished my coop and brought it down to me, but he didn't listen to what I wanted. One of the big things that I think will be a problem is that the entire floor of the coop is hardware cloth. Now, I remember reading in some poultry book to not have them walking on wires because it can dig into their feet as they get heavier and that the pain might stop them from laying eggs later on. I have bamboo, wood slats, and halved round dowels that I want to put down on the floor on top of the hardware cloth, and my question is how far apart should they be? I don't want them too close to cause problems walking or getting their feet stuck, but I don't want them to be so far apart that they don't make any difference. Any advice?

Can you just cover the hardware cloth with plain ole flat boards? The hardware cloth will keep any predator from ever digging up through the wood so you can thank your dad for the extra protection.

You are right, you don't want chickens walking on wire.

I would cover the floor completely with wood.

1. they do not need to walk on hardwire;

2. if you space the boards apart, a foot can be grabbed and pulled or bitten

3. covering the floor completely will be more secure.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Yep, I'd vote for just cutting a piece of 5/8" plywood (prime and paint it) to fit over the hardware cloth and make a solid comfy floor.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

Can you put some plywood or some kind of wood over part of the wire? Here is a picture of mine. I don't know if it will help or give you any ideas. I use wire under my roosts and the poop falls through the wire. On the part with the wood I primed and painted, I use the deep litter method. Click on the picture for a better view if you need to.
frow.gif

Last edited:
and on the floor if you can swing it, put down some cheap linoleum. You can still deep litter but cleanout is so much easier and the poop and wetstuff doesn't sick into the wood floor. Much easier clean up.

hsmamma

Back
Top Bottom