Flooring to hold up to hosing

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
We are in the process of moving the chickens and ducks (free range to a large pen).
Working on the pen and still planning/tweaking the new house.

Since it will be both the ducks and the chickens, we'll be hosing out the hut as we do now. Right now their current housing is made of fence boards painted with several coats of exterior paint. That has done well for years.
New house will be a walk in, so fence boards aren't going to cut it.
DH wants 4x8 so we don't have seams to worry about. I want 6x8 so I don't feel like I'm hitting my elbows when I'm in there cleaning up.

What would work for flooring?
normal flooring with vinyl flooring
normal flooring coated with several layers of porch paint
deck boards (DH is concerned these will never dry and rot everything out.

This is the rough plan of what I have us building (just not balcony rails - program I was playing with wouldn't let me do just a porch with no rails). 8x6 with a 2' overhang/porch on the front making it 8x8. The porch part will be deck boards most likely. But it is in the interior 6x8 portion I need to figure out. Thanks!
Chicken3.PNG

We are in the process of moving the chickens and ducks (free range to a large pen).
Working on the pen and still planning/tweaking the new house.

Since it will be both the ducks and the chickens, we'll be hosing out the hut as we do now. Right now their current housing is made of fence boards painted with several coats of exterior paint. That has done well for years.
New house will be a walk in, so fence boards aren't going to cut it.
DH wants 4x8 so we don't have seams to worry about. I want 6x8 so I don't feel like I'm hitting my elbows when I'm in there cleaning up.

What would work for flooring?
normal flooring with vinyl flooring
normal flooring coated with several layers of porch paint
deck boards (DH is concerned these will never dry and rot everything out.

This is the rough plan of what I have us building (just not balcony rails - program I was playing with wouldn't let me do just a porch with no rails). 8x6 with a 2' overhang/porch on the front making it 8x8. The porch part will be deck boards most likely. But it is in the interior 6x8 portion I need to figure out. Thanks!
View attachment 1909548
Cute house. If you want to hose it, and are building new, have you considered cement? I ended up pouring cement in a house after it was built because of dogs digging in the dirt floors. I was in hot, dry So. Calif. and it made cleaning easier to wash it down with the hose.

No cement as we don't want it permanent - we'll build it on skids so it can be moved if needed to a new location in the yard for whatever reason.

Pallet wood would have the same concern as using deck boards - will they dry inside the house.

We made this with pallets and building sturdy walls that the pallets slid into. These are pallets that are used for roofing so the wood is tight together. The bottom is two pressure treated siding pallets so that we can lift it with machineryand loading onto a flat bed.

The flooring is pvc sheets.

We haven't been able to get to the roof or trim, we have them just a busy time of the year.

IMG_20190630_184729.jpg

No cement as we don't want it permanent - we'll build it on skids so it can be moved if needed to a new location in the yard for whatever reason.

Pallet wood would have the same concern as using deck boards - will they dry inside the house.
I have seen people build their hen houses on trailers with metal mesh decking, those are super easy to move and the poop falls down under the house. To clean it, pull it to the next location. Lots of ventilation with a wire cage floor.

Our coop floor is 2x6 unfinished boards. We have an all-purpose foam mat on the floor covered with pine shavings. When it needs cleaning I bring it out to the yard and hose it down. It dries quickly in the sun and it goes back in with fresh shavings. I put the same mat on the poop board for easy daily cleanup. We found this at our local Menards. 38A98AFC-08DC-452D-A7F2-9E476649B6D2.jpeg CA265DE3-BA30-48E3-A8F3-5C6F5BF65A29.jpeg

1840BECE-7CB9-4935-A53D-A8A122A60A96.jpeg
6080EC4A-25E8-4933-9442-66EA764070DD.jpeg
My conjoined shed and coop are floored with deck boards. The coop boards are covered with vinyl flooring — remnants, one on the floor, a second for the walls. Haven’t cleaned it out yet, but should be a breeze, especially with the window at floor level!

Back
Top Bottom