flopping over in sunshine

ikemiker

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 5, 2016
I'm new, HI!!! I am also in looooooove, as I'm sure all of you are as well.

I have 16 Easter Eggers, and I'm really enjoying learning all their personalities. I do have one little drama queen that's given me a fright a couple of times now, because when she gets in the sun, she likes to lay on her side, legs and head stretched out, and she looks exactly like she's dead.

The first couple of times, I thought she had fainted from the heat, and I picked her up, dipped her beak for a drink and set her in the shade. But now that I've watched her a bit more, it seems like she just likes doing it, because she doesn't just do it in the heat, she specifically does it in patches of sunshine, and after a bit, she'll get up and behave normally.

Thoughts? Anyone else see this happening?

:) Jen

Mine do it too, they're just soaking up the sunshine. Have they started taking dirt baths yet? That looks kinda crazy too!

That's so funny, they like to do that, looks like they are drawing their last breath and all they are doing is sun bathing. I have thought a few chickens over the years were dead, a quick yell and they turn their head to reveal they are still alive. Sure does scare ya sometimes.

Oh my goodness, they look like PSYCHOS in the dust bath!!!

I've been working my dog outside the run with "down-stays" and other commands, and just sitting out there with her and she gets really concerned when a big group dust bath occurs. She looks at me like, "mama, are you seeing this? Is this ok? Are they ok, mama?"

In other dog news, the drama queen hen stared down the dog today until the dog assumed a submissive posture. No lie.

:)

welcome-byc.gif

Sun bathing chicks look like they have Marek's or something. And dust bathing birds look like they're having some weird seizures.

Sleeping chicks look like they're dead. Broody hens look like they're dead.

I think the darn things just like to mess with us
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom