Floppy Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jetto, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    We noticed yesterday that the comb on one of our Barred Rock hens was flopping over to the side. She's six months old and been laying for about 2 weeks-last day she laid was Friday. She's eating, drinking and perky. Her comb is pretty much flopped over to the side.

We had below freezing temps here like many others but my chickens are in the barn and its not drafty or damp. They have a light on them 14 hours a day and we feed Layena and free choice grit and oyster shell. The other three chickens are fine and other than the flopping comb this hen seems fine. I looked closely at it today for any signs of frostbite but it looks healthy. Just flopping over and it never did that before. No signs of injury either. It does look a bit bigger than the comb on our other BR. Any ideas? Kristi

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    For some hens the comb does tend to flop over, depending on the size of the comb. It could be perfectly normal for her as well. Keep an eye on her and see if you notice any other symptoms.

3. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    Ok thank you very much! The other three aren't like that so I thought something miight be wrong. My Barred Rocks are Thelma and Louise and before her comb flopped over I couldn't tell them apart. Maybe she decided to distinguish herself for me...lol....Thanks again! Kristi

4. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    It's funny I should see this as the first post this morning. One of mine has a comb that's flopping to the side this morning. Her's is small and usually sticks straight up. She's also kind of listless this morning. I think she's sick.

5. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Jetto, my BR bantam hens are also Thelma and Louise. Their combs have always been upright. One is 1 and 1/2 and the other is 2 and 1/2.

Last autumn I noticed my black bantam's comb (Aunt Minnie) was flopping over. It kind of looked like a lady's red hat on her. She stopped laying in December and her comb went back upright.
    Two of my other bantams are starting back up laying and their combs are back to being bright red and they are now "floppy hats" too. They had previously been red, but did not flop. They are all just turning one year old.
    I have 4 pullets (1/2 BR) that started laying this month. So far, all of their combs are upright. They look too much alike, so I just put leg bands on them for identification.

I'd just thought the floppy comb might be a breed trait they'd picked up from some chicken in their background (they're mutts and were given to me last spring).
    They are all very healthy and active.

6. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I wondered what caused the flopping myself. I have a California White with a flopped comb. My flock is mixed, so I couldn't compare it to one of the same breed. Hers is the only bigger single comb in the flock, so I figured it was just weight and that it was taller. It's not as big as a roosters would be. Roosters' stand up. Maybe its just thinner and doesn't have enough body in it. My CW is healthy and laying daily.

7. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I have 7 BR's, and one has a floppy comb. She's big & strong & healthy & lays great........but I think she's the only "pecker-hen" I have. She's also got a weird look to her eyes.....we call her goofy. I have Lumina (lighter in color), Goofy (floppy comb) & Shorty (short comb). The others are still awaiting fitting names. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by