Floppy, low hanging crop

Cickenlover

In the Brooder
May 2, 2021
Our 18 week old hen suddenly had a droopy sagging crop...help! Fortunately to this site and some add’l reading I was able to learn this could be a pendulous crop and we needed to act fast. I picked up our hen and held her. I recommend wearing splatter safe clothes and gloves. It can get messy. I slid my finger into the side of her beak to keep open as my husband used our former turkey baster to inject olive oil and water. While he was doing this I was gently massaging the crop. Next with my finger still keeping her beak open I tilted her downward for a few seconds. Immediately liquid and some chunks started flowing to the ground. We repeated this process three times and then put her in a cage inside the run with only water. Today we repeated the process but we fill like she is fairly empty at this point. So next we cut out the heel of a tube sock and then the cut the rest of sock off about 2 inches below the heel....slid over her head...top of sock at top. We carefully pulled the sock down over the crop. Then with the hole from the heel, we gently pulled the wings thru one at a time. The plan is to keep her supported for healing and give her soft foods and water for the next couple of days. Then add her regular food in slowly. Wish us luck. This is our first experience to chickens!

Attachments

• 43FCAFF5-233F-4F8E-ABBA-A83550CD196C.jpeg
    43FCAFF5-233F-4F8E-ABBA-A83550CD196C.jpeg
    864.5 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom