Nine month old Bielefelder with distended crop that won't empty

pickle47

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
New York State
Hi all,

First of all I apologize for the length of this post! I wanted to lay out the situation completely. I have read every thread I could find on crop issues in BYC (thank you to all the experienced people who have posted), but my approach isn't working so far....

I am a first-time chicken owner with 13 chickens, all 9 months old. One of my five Bielefelders has been having crop trouble - I think she may have a mass of hay in the crop, and has developed sour crop secondary to that (I am composting restaurant scraps in their run, using hay as the browns, and I have seen a few chickens with hay sticking out of their beaks - I didn't realize this could be dangerous until now! I will switch to woodchips). I first noticed she was more lethargic and tossing her head strangely 5 days ago, and from BYC figured out that it was a crop issue. Her crop is quite enlarged (about the size of a tennis ball) and definitely hangs down (pendulous), and there is no hard mass (like it sounds like there would be in some cases of impacted crop). Instead, the crop feels squishy and dough-like, with what feels like gravel towards the base. I isolated her from the other 12 chickens in the greenhouse, because she was getting pecked, and to give her only water (no food) to see if her crop cleared by morning. It did decrease in size at all. I began giving her coconut oil chunks several times a day and massaging her crop on day 2, and gave her yoghurt and scrambled egg - she does eat some, she has some appetite. Her poops are watery, though there is some solid mass - often green with some white, not that large.

On morning 3, when her crop had not decreased in size at all, I decided to try to make her sick to see if I could help clear it (I know maybe a bad idea because of risk of aspiration). She vomited quite a bit of sour green liquid, but it didn't seem to decrease the size or texture of the crop at all. Because of the sour smell, I thought it could be sour crop, and I began treatment with Monistat orally, as some threads on BYC suggest (1/2 inch of cream orally twice a day). She has been on this treatment for 2 full days now, plus coconut oil, regular massages, but the size and texture of the crop has not decreased. I moved her into the house in a dog crate because we are having colder weather here (and to keep her isolated from other chickens) and she immediately began to eat the cedar shavings, so I removed those and put in newspaper. Maybe she is a chicken who just likes to eat things she shouldn't - like hay. She is still alert, and eating a bit, with watery poops with little solid matter. I have given her scrambled egg, yoghurt, and layer crumble soaked in water.

I stitched her a crop bra and have installed that on her just now - which she hates and is picking at - but I am hoping this will help the crop empty, but I am skeptical that it will, because none of my massaging, regurgitating her, the Monistat so far, or anything else has helped. The crop is still the size of a tennis ball.

I am worried that she has a hay obstruction in her crop, and that because she is eating so little, and her crop isn't emptying, she will die of malnourishment, which will be hard to sit by and watch happen. And this has already been doing on five days....She has been such a sweet girl through all this treatment I've subjected her to. I understand if there is nothing I can do for, but I thought I would post to see if there is anything else I can try, or something I'm maybe doing wrong. It has been discouraging that her crop hasn't decreased in size at all. I called the Cornell Cooperative Vet Extension service (we are in upstate NY) and they seemed to think surgery might be needed....I am not in a financial situation to take her to a vet for surgery. I'd be willing to try at-home crop surgery as a last resort, but given that that would be a first for me, I'd like to make sure it's absolutely necessary before risking her life like that. And we are vegetarian, so her destiny is not the soup pot...

Thank you for any one who can suggest any help! And again I apologize for how verbose this post is. Many thanks.

Same post resumed:

"I am a first-time chicken owner. One of my 9 months old Bielefelders may have a mass of hay in the crop, and has developed sour crop secondary to that. She was more lethargic and tossing her head strangely 5 days ago. Her crop is enlarged about the size of a tennis ball and definitely hangs down. It feels squishy and dough-like, with what feels like gravel towards the base but without any hard mass.

I isolated her (was getting pecked), and give only water (no food). Next morning I began giving her coconut oil chunks (several times a day), and massaging her crop on day 2, and she ate some yoghurt and scrambled egg. Her poops are watery, though there is some solid mass - often green with some white.

On morning 3, I tried to make her sick. She vomited quite a bit of sour green liquid. Because of the sour smell, it could be sour crop. I began treatment with 1/2 inch of Monistat cream orally twice a day. Treatment last for 2 full days now, plus coconut oil, regular massages, but the crop didn't improved.

I moved her into the house in a crate because we are having colder weather here (and to keep her isolated from other chickens) and she immediately began to eat the cedar shavings, that I replaced by newspaper. She is still alert and eating a bit (scrambled egg, yoghurt, and layer crumble soaked in water). Watery poops with little solid matter.

I stitched her a crop bra (that she hates and is picking at, but I am hoping will help the crop empty). I'm skeptical because after 5 days none of my previous efforts worked. The crop is still the size of a tennis ball.

I called the Cornell Cooperative Vet Extension service (upstate NY) and they suggested to take it to a vet for surgery. Is too expensive for me. I'd be willing to try at-home crop surgery as a last resort, but I''d like to make sure it's absolutely necessary before risking her life. We are vegetarian, so her destiny is not the soup pot.

I am worried that she has a hay obstruction, and will die of malnourishment. I have read every thread I could find on crop issues in BYC, but my approach isn't working so far... If there is anything else I can try, or something I'm doing wrong please let me know.

Last edited:
Chickens are adapted to fast for several weeks and hens will recover easily from three or four weeks of fasting without permanent consequences. Your hen will not die for lack of food immediately, specially if kept on a warm, quiet place so, by now, don't worry about this.

Second, what is filling the crop? Liquid or air? If is liquid or pus from the infection, there is a lot. Two days of treatment is not a lot of time. Most antibiotics need weeks to act.

If is air, would explain why is so big, and the lack of progress on size reduction even after the provoked vomit. Air just keeps inflating the crop until its maximum capacity.

Hay is sharp and can cause easily a perforating wound. Maybe (I'm speculating) hay perforated the crop connecting it with the trachea or air sacks?. How is the breath? regular? heavy? Watch for small wounds or blood spots in the breast. If you touch gently the breast out of the crop area, she feels pain in some point?

Your main objective now is to fight the infection, keep her warm, and keep giving her medicine

Last edited:
Chickens are adapted to fast for several weeks and hens will recover easily from three or four weeks of fasting without permanent consequences. Your hen will not die for lack of food immediately, specially if kept on a warm, quiet place so, by now, don't worry about this.

Second, what is filling the crop? Liquid or air? If is liquid or pus from the infection, there is a lot. Two days of treatment is not a lot of time. Most antibiotics need weeks to act.

If is air, would explain why is so big, and the lack of progress on size reduction even after the provoked vomit. Air just keeps inflating the crop until its maximum capacity.

Hay is sharp and can cause easily a perforating wound. Maybe (I'm speculating) hay perforated the crop connecting it with the trachea or air sacks?. How is the breath? regular? heavy? Watch for small wounds or blood spots in the breast. If you touch gently the breast out of the crop area, she feels pain in some point?

Your main objective now is to fight the infection, keep her warm, and keep giving her medicine
Thank you! Good to know she can go some time without much food. And she is in a quiet, warm place.

What is filling the crop doesn't feel like air, or even particularly liquid. It feels like a somewhat squishy mass....as I'd imagine hay or grass would be. Her breath is regular, not labored. And when I massage her crop or handle her breast, she does not seem to feel pain - she is perfectly calm being touched all over.

When you say fight the infection, do you mean the antifungal I am giving her for possible Candida infection (sour crop)? I am not giving her antibiotics (antibacterial drugs).

Thank you!

Then typical case of fungus on the crop. Treatments in this cases typically will run for 14-17 days, and some can even last for 30. Take this in mind and check what is said in your package, but a week at least for Monistat would be the bare minimum.

Two days is still too early to see any improvement (in my non expert opinion). I would just keep doing the same and have patience.

"Monistat" is Miconazole. Nystatin ("Mycostatin") could be useful for simple non severe infections and is a safe option to start. Both target the same spot in the fungus. More severe cases would need stronger products like Fluconazole, but take in mind that those can have collateral effects and need to be consulted with your vet.

Last edited:
Because I was pretty sure that she had a hay obstruction (given how it felt and that I could not help her empty the crop no matter what) and that the sour crop was secondary, and rather than subject her to an operation without anesthetic, my friend came over this morning to process her for her soup pot, and post-mortem we removed a huge hay obstruction from her crop - picture below. The lining of her crop certainly showed signs of a yeast infection, but the main problem was the obstruction, so I don't think in this case the Monistat would have helped without removing the obstruction first. Thank you for your help....now I know a lot more for next time.
IMG_6352.jpg

Well, I was afraid this might happen - now one of my Buckeyes is in a very similar situation, it seems. She seems to be doing OK - some head tossing, but otherwise no other symptoms - but her crop feels identical, full in the morning - feels like the hay-filled crop from my poor Bielefelder. She does smell sour, but I think the underlying problem is ingested hay.

I am wondering, is there anything I can do to help break up/pass a hay obstruction in the crop? If it's like what was in my Bielefelder, it's hard to see how coconut oil and massage will help (reattaching pic of what I pulled out of her post-mortem)....maybe my best bet is a watermelon fast like the one mentioned by @SmiYa0126 .... but I don't think my wife wants a chicken in our small house for a month.

Do hay obstructions like this ever resolve on their own? I have removed all the composting hay from their run and covered everything with woodchips, now, so hopefully this will prevent problems going forward. And the other 10 hens seem fine....it just seems that these two ate a lot of hay.

I am tagging @azygous (I think this is how you tag someone) because I have read all her articles and replies on crop issues and I'm hoping she has some advice on dealing with hay obstructions like this. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6352.jpg
    IMG_6352.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom