Flordia Quail requirements

The other species of quail are really just aviary ornaments....pretty birds to look at and to breed but require more time to mature and only lay during the breeding season.
Coturnix mature quickly and lay year round if the right conditions are provided but that also has it's limitations....they will not have a long life span with every day laying an egg. Average life span's of Coturnix are 3 to 4 years and even less for meat purposes.

This is only for sustainability for my family. Hence why I'm also keeping it small scale. This is the hutch I've built for them, it has an auto egg collection setup.
Is that plastic netting? If you are keeping this pen outside you should replace that netting with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Night time marauders rip and chew through everything except thick wire.

I've done so much work and research into all this that I'd be kinda really POd if I need a permit and can't get one at this point. Lol
I really doubt you will need a permit.The permit is used to track any native species. Coturnix Quail won't effect the environment if they get loose.

The floor is 14gauge metal. The hutch is staying in an enclosed but ventilated sunroom as I read quail need to stay kind of cooler when it comes to flordia heat. The sides are hard plastic netting but it staying kinda indoors I figured it would be just fine and then they also can't hurt themselves and snag their feathers and stuff.

Last edited:
A license is not required in the following situations:

Protection, propagation, raising, or production of 100 or fewer live bobwhite quail or nonnative game birds (except nonnative ducks and geese) for personal use, consumption, education, dog training, or other not-for-sale or exhibition purpose.

Purchasing or receiving eggs for personal use, consumption, education, or other nt-for-sale or exhibition purpose

So I wouldn't need a permit for coturnix quail cause they're not native? They're technically Japan native right? And this is only for personal use.

A license is not required in the following situations:

Protection, propagation, raising, or production of 100 or fewer live bobwhite quail or nonnative game birds (except nonnative ducks and geese) for personal use, consumption, education, dog training, or other not-for-sale or exhibition purpose.

Purchasing or receiving eggs for personal use, consumption, education, or other nt-for-sale or exhibition purpose

So I wouldn't need a permit for coturnix quail cause they're not native? They're technically Japan native right? And this is only for personal use.
After reading the link that @007Sean just posted, as long as you keep fewer than 100 birds and they are for your personal use only, you do not need a license for Coturnix quail.

The other species of quail are really just aviary ornaments....pretty birds to look at and to breed but require more time to mature and only lay during the breeding season.
Coturnix mature quickly and lay year round if the right conditions are provided but that also has it's limitations....they will not have a long life span with every day laying an egg. Average life span's of Coturnix are 3 to 4 years and even less for meat purposes.
X2 on what @007Sean just said, of you are using these birds for food or eggs, any bird other than Coturnix is useless. Coturnix mature up in 7+ weeks, Blue Scale, Mountain, etc... take many months to nearly a year to mature, breed and lay.
@Athenad I fully agree with this and if you're looking for meat and eggs for sustainability, I would look into large Jumbo Coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom