FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Update:
We had three hatch inside the incubator so far. We also had two hatch outside to the broody hen for a total of 5 babies as of 3:30 pm today. We introduced the inside chicks to the momma hen and she took them without a problem. They are doing fine, and very, very happy to have a warm mother instead of a heating fan!
That's Awesome! I have only tried it once and she attacked the chicks.

Quote:
love.gif

Hi! I'm in Volusia County and am looking to start out with 4-6 hens. We're looking for good layers with sweet dispositions. We'd love to have free-rangers who come into roost at night, so homebodies are preferred. What breeds should I be looking into? Thanks!
lostinthemusic

I have three "golden comets" which are a cross bred for good laying. They each have very distinct personalities. One is a pet, one is skittish, and one is the bossy girl who hates being told what to do or where to go. They are all able to be handled, though. The skittish one will not tolerate it for long, and always try to fly off. The bossy one will try to escape from being picked up, but will tolerate being held, and the pet is just content to be carried all over the yard.

This will happen no matter which breed you get, from what I have read. I saw one person say, "oh that breed is not friendly" and someone replied, "mine likes to sit in my lap".

A lot iof how they act with people is going to be how much you handle them as they grow up, though you will see individual differences. I felt it was important to have chickens that could be caught and held just for being able to check their health. Food is always a great way to convince them to go where you want and to facilitate catching them.

Isolate her with only water and observe her for a couple of hours or so. Any runny nose? poops okay? drinks water? If sneezing stops with just water, it could be she inhaled some feed dust. Usually if something is really wrong with them you'd see discharge from the nose, hear gurgling noises, listlessness, sitting puffed up. How old? Did you get any new birds recently? If you got them all at the same time from the same place and no other birds have been around them--including wild birds, and no other people with birds have been around them, it's likely that everything is okay.

I now have two sneezing. All were bought together and I have no other birds. They have been outside and could possibly have been exposed to wild birds or in the same place they had been. They're 12ish wks. Both are drinking and eating. I haven't seen any discharge from nose or eyes. No gurgling noise. She sounds squawkier than usual. And I have a really dumb thought, but I'll put it out there. My family has had a nasty cold and I give the chicks plate scraps... could she have caught germs from us? I know very dumb and highly unlikely. Laugh if you want :) Just throwing any ideas out. Thanks!

Actually chickens can get colds I don't know if they can from humans but they just finally discovered dogs can catch colds and flu from us so who's to say birds can't. If its a cold vet rx should take care of it. But I would watch for other symptoms just incase its more serious.

Last edited:
I now have two sneezing. All were bought together and I have no other birds. They have been outside and could possibly have been exposed to wild birds or in the same place they had been. They're 12ish wks. Both are drinking and eating. I haven't seen any discharge from nose or eyes. No gurgling noise. She sounds squawkier than usual. And I have a really dumb thought, but I'll put it out there. My family has had a nasty cold and I give the chicks plate scraps... could she have caught germs from us? I know very dumb and highly unlikely. Laugh if you want :) Just throwing any ideas out. Thanks!
I have two sneezing as well. Quite frequently - about every 4 mins

Actually chickens can get colds I don't know if they can from humans but they just finally discovered dogs can catch colds and flu from us so who's to say birds can't. If its a cold vet rx should take care of it. But I would watch for other symptoms just incase its more serious.
Where did you hear this? I do not think chickens can get colds, if they have upper respiratory symptoms it is usually something infectious and unfortunately quite serious. People usually do not take the time or effort to get a definitive diagnosis (which usually requires doing a culture) so when it passes they write it off as "just a cold", when it could really be mycoplasma or any number of other things that their birds will now carry for life and will pass on and infect other birds. If you have info to the contrary I'm interested to know, would appreciate if you could share the source.

I have two sneezing as well. Quite frequently - about every 4 mins
I hope those of you with sneezing birds are not selling chicks, hatching eggs, or started birds. This could be something infectious and you could inadvertently spread it to other people's flocks if you let anything leave yours without knowing for sure.

Back
Top Bottom