FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote: very common and free range flocks who do not have a solid roof over their run can be exposed to it from over head wild birds. Netting and open topped runs dont stop them being exposed. Its something owners should be aware of as they venture into chicken ownership.

There are all sorts of items that can be passed from chicken to egg, from wild biirds to chickens too. Going to swaps and handling birds and returning home can carry things home with you as well.

There are risks, and I feel its best to be informed and make choices for you flock than to not know at all.

I too believe in the NPIP program, just spoke with Jennifer from the FL ag office going over what all we will test for this year when its time to renew.

very common and free range flocks who do not have a solid roof over their run can be exposed to it from over head wild birds. Netting and open topped runs dont stop them being exposed. Its something owners should be aware of as they venture into chicken ownership.

There are all sorts of items that can be passed from chicken to egg, from wild biirds to chickens too. Going to swaps and handling birds and returning home can carry things home with you as well.

There are risks, and I feel its best to be informed and make choices for you flock than to not know at all.

I too believe in the NPIP program, just spoke with Jennifer from the FL ag office going over what all we will test for this year when its time to renew.
What is the NPIP program?

My run is covered in heavy green shade cloth.The kind that we use in the plant nursery industry to shade plants.I had originally wanted a covered run but it just wasn't in the budget.Maybe next year I can make and addition and raise a roof over it.its tightly weaved but water could still get through it so I'm guessing they could still be exposed that way.

Last edited:
I used to be so paranoid I had a dishpan of bleach and water I would step in between aviaries. LOL! But then I found out how dangerous bleach is. Also used to carry sanitizer everywhere. Does anyone know I mean really know if teatree oil is safe for chickens I see yes and no but no actual studies? Is see it used rather widely in Australia.

What is the NPIP program?

NPIP is a program where an ag rep tests your flock and looks at your facilities and certifies them safe healthy and happy or at least humanely cared for. It's agreat program and it means you can buy healthy eggs and or birds with confidence. I don't sell myself yet but I only buy NPIP

I used to be so paranoid I had a dishpan of bleach and water I would step in between aviaries. LOL! But then I found out how dangerous bleach is. Also used to carry sanitizer everywhere. Does anyone know I mean really know if teatree oil is safe for chickens I see yes and no but no actual studies? Is see it used rather widely in Australia.
Oxine is probably the best thing to use with poultry. Really safe and kills just about everything. 100x more effective than bleach and can be misted on everything including the birds.

Thank you!! I wad thinking of vercon but oxine sounds better if its safe to spray on them. I don't think I could do that though with all I've been taught about vapors and mists and bird lungs but it still sounds like somthing worth looking into.

Might this oxine help the sneezing chicken above?? It sound like good stuff not natural like I like but maybe good to have around for the bad stuff and deep cleanings. Is it safe for humans to inhale??

Back
Top Bottom