FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

So sorry to hear that you're having trouble with you babies. I have 54 from Cackle right now who are 6 wks old. No problems with any of them. Have never ordered from Ideal. I agree though that with the number of chicks they hatch on a daily basis, all hatcheries must have breakouts at times. Doesn't make it any less devastating to the small chicken raiser though. Hope your babies pull through and turn out to be healthy little ones with a great immune system.

Thank you. I made contact with Ideal and told them what I was going through and sent pics. Julie, from customer service responded first thing this morning and did what she could to help right the situation. Now the meds for the chicks will not be such an extra burden. I am ordering more antibiotics to make sure I do not run out.

That puts Ideal up there with customer service and responsiveness. I am thankful for that and hope these guys recover, too. Had really looked forward to seeing then grow up.

Armed with Baytril and fingers and toes crossed!

yippiechickie.gif

Quote: Sulmet 12.5% (Sodium Sulfamethazine). There are times when Sulmet is not available but Sodium Sulfamethazine is and it is the same thing. It will also help with Infectious Coryza (Haemophilus gallinarum), which is a respiratory ailment. Sulmet 12.5% (sulfamethazine) in their water 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for 3 to 5 days as their only source of drinking water. Sulmet is a good general purpose antibacterial.

Sulmet 12.5% (Sodium Sulfamethazine). There are times when Sulmet is not available but Sodium Sulfamethazine is and it is the same thing. It will also help with Infectious Coryza (Haemophilus gallinarum), which is a respiratory ailment. Sulmet 12.5% (sulfamethazine) in their water 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for 3 to 5 days as their only source of drinking water. Sulmet is a good general purpose antibacterial.

cmom,

I currently have them on Baytril (drinking water treatment) and it is supposed to be for 10 days. When that is up would it be wise to use Sulmet if I still hear any noise when they breath?

I am not comfortable with switching them until I finish up at least one course of treatment completely.

I am hearing mention of birds recovering from different things, but being carriers. That has me worried. I guess I would have to have a necropsy done on the one dead chick to know exactly what kind of illness it is and if it will remain as a hidden illness - correct?

Quote: If you are using Baytril then I assume it was prescribed by your vet as that is the only way it is available that I know of, so then there would be no need to use Sulmet. Sulmet can be bought at most feed stores and is a good general antibacterial for several ailments that can be purchased over the counter. It is good to treat the whole flock like you are as you are correct that some birds will show symptoms and others may be just carriers of the bacteria. You would have to have a necropsy done on the dead chick to know exactly what kind of illness it is. Good luck...

Quote: If you are using Baytril then I assume it was prescribed by your vet as that is the only way it is available that I know of, so then there would be no need to use Sulmet. Sulmet can be bought at most feed stores and is a good general antibacterial for several ailments that can be purchased over the counter. It is good to treat the whole flock like you are as you are correct that some birds will show symptoms and others may be just carriers of the bacteria. You would have to have a necropsy done on the dead chick to know exactly what kind of illness it is. Good luck...
If you have another outbreak in the future you may then want to switch from the Baytril to the Sulmet as the birds can develop a resistance to it, so sometimes if you try something else the bacteria hasn't built as resistance to.

If you have another outbreak in the future you may then want to switch from the Baytril to the Sulmet as the birds can develop a resistance to it, so sometimes if you try something else the bacteria hasn't built as resistance to.

Yeah, have both the single bird dosing and the water soluble version. When I realized it was not just one or two chicks. I keep the g-babies and can't single dose 28 chicks and 10 grown girls twice a day so it had to go into water. Pretty expensive and very frustrating. I just got my first chicken in February and all seemed to be well until these little guys came to live with me.

We will get thru it though.

Thank you

Just a reminder of this swap coming up this Saturday September 28th. It is posted on Craigslist, Ocala4Sale, Citrus Chronicle, Riverland News, 95.3 and 96.7FM radio and on the marquee at the Crystal River Mall. We should have a very good turnout from all the responses we have received.

Crystal River Mall monthly Farm Swap Meet
4th Saturday Monthly (Next swap Saturday September 28th)
9:00 AM TO 2:00 PM
1801 NW US Hwy.19
Crystal River, FL 34428
---> MAP

Quote:
Hey Mrs. M. Fruit and spice park is great, its close to my house. I went there last week for a class on plant propagation and learned how to do grafts and stuff. They have all kinds of classes and events there and about 160 varieties of mango tree!! If you go there and volunteer on Wed's PM's they let you get cuttings of anything you like in the park.. Have a great time !!!!!

Hi everyone.... looking for some help. I have 8 14wk old birds in my grow pen, they were suppose to be pullets. It looks like I have 4 maybe 5 cockerels in there. In my chicken house I have 10 hens and 1 EE roo (23wks). My question is can I put the new cockerels in with the existing flock or should I keep them separated. The batch of eight are 5 production RIR and 3 production BR. I think 1 rock and 3 RIR are cockerels. I am planning on putting the hens in when they are a little bigger, but not sure what to do about the boys. If I let the boy free range and only put them in at night, would that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom