FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I'm up here just across the FL/GA in Kingsland, but I still have a place in Florida. I use regular window screen over the hardware cloth to keep critters away from my Bantam Cochins chicks. They are so tiny! Even a small snake can get them, because snakes can expand their jaws. Chemicals don't work, because whatever you try will wash away in the summer season rain.

Here's a couple of my young men.

They hatched during the "polar vortex" on January 15, and are hen hatched & raised. Back in January snakes are not a problem, but this time of year I use window screen over the hardware cloth. It is sold by the roll at your local hardware store.

ha, good to hear my idea wasn't a dud... I am going to put that on my chick box i have stuff left over from my home projects..

I have a place in Live Oak (it's in the woods far from everywhere)... even though i do live in Homestad, i escape up to the north every chance i get.. bet there are some snakes there.. we had a bobcat once...

Last edited:
I'm up here just across the FL/GA in Kingsland, but I still have a place in Florida. I use regular window screen over the hardware cloth to keep critters away from my Bantam Cochins chicks. They are so tiny! Even a small snake can get them, because snakes can expand their jaws. Chemicals don't work, because whatever you try will wash away in the summer season rain.

They hatched during the "polar vortex" on January 15, and are hen hatched & raised. Back in January snakes are not a problem, but this time of year I use window screen over the hardware cloth. It is sold by the roll at your local hardware store.
The fine window screen mesh will also deter mosquitos, yellow flies and other insects...including sand gnats. I used to live in Kingsland close to the St Mary's river until I moved to Jax 2 years ago.

Coralee, I have cousins, Larry and Gloria Turner that live in Kingsland, GA....Small world!

Hey all I'm in orlando. Anyone else near by? Looking for fellow orlando friends who are chicken lovers too and also anyone have any broody hens nearby they want to get rid of? Looking to add a broody girl to my flock :)

Does anyone know any feed mills in the Ocala area? Or Organic food that won't cost an arm and a leg? My budget would be about $25 per 50# bag....Was looking to see if I could find any feed mills that make their own feed.

Thanks all :)

I am building this coop and I have no idea what to ask? A fair price. It's not complete yet and it will be off the ground a foot or two it's 5'x3' with 6 nesting boxes any help is appreciated!!!

Does anyone know any feed mills in the Ocala area? Or Organic food that won't cost an arm and a leg? My budget would be about $25 per 50# bag....Was looking to see if I could find any feed mills that make their own feed.

Thanks all :)
No feed mills near Ocala for poultry feed. I believe there is a feed mill for horse feed. This is the only feed mill I know of.

Hillandale Quality Feeds
9561 SW State Road 121
Lake Butler, FL 32054 - View Map
Phone: (386) 496-2266

Hey all I'm in orlando. Anyone else near by? Looking for fellow orlando friends who are chicken lovers too and also anyone have any broody hens nearby they want to get rid of? Looking to add a broody girl to my flock :)
Click on FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!! in my signature and it will take you to a list of Florida BYC members listed by counties.

Back
Top Bottom