FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Does anyone on the FL thread have ducks? I'm thinking of getting into ducks (will always have chickens) and I was wondering some things about them. I could post on the duck forum, but I'd like to hear from others here in our state.

What breed of ducks do you have and what made you select that breed over others?
What type of housing do you have for them?
Have you had any heat/humidity related issues with them?

Those kinds of questions, plus whatever else you think might be helpful.

Does anyone on the FL thread have ducks? I'm thinking of getting into ducks (will always have chickens) and I was wondering some things about them. I could post on the duck forum, but I'd like to hear from others here in our state.

What breed of ducks do you have and what made you select that breed over others?
What type of housing do you have for them?
Have you had any heat/humidity related issues with them?

Those kinds of questions, plus whatever else you think might be helpful.
I have had Khaki Campbell ducks for a few years now and love them. They lay 300+ eggs a year and are GREAT bug control. When my chickens stop laying due to molting or the summer heat I can always count on the Khaki hens to give me a few eggs. The eggs are richer in taste and are excellent for baking. They don't really fly but when they do it is only a foot or so off the ground and for short distances. The 7 I have now are free ranged all day and they get along with my turkeys, chickens and geese. I provided them with a kiddie pool and that is all they really need as far as something to swim in but be prepared to change the water daily. They are very messy in the pool.

I have had Khaki Campbell ducks for a few years now and love them. They lay 300+ eggs a year and are GREAT bug control. When my chickens stop laying due to molting or the summer heat I can always count on the Khaki hens to give me a few eggs. The eggs are richer in taste and are excellent for baking. They don't really fly but when they do it is only a foot or so off the ground and for short distances. The 7 I have now are free ranged all day and they get along with my turkeys, chickens and geese. I provided them with a kiddie pool and that is all they really need as far as something to swim in but be prepared to change the water daily. They are very messy in the pool.

Thanks so much for the response!

I've been following the duck breed focus series that's been going on but they haven't covered Khaki Campbell's yet. So far they've had Indian Runners, Magpies, Call Ducks, Cayuga, Silver Appleyard and Welsh Harlequin. It's been a very interesting series, hope they get to the Khaki's soon.

What are their personalities like? Since these will be my first ducks, I want something people-friendly.

And if you don't mind me asking, where did you get them?

My pullets have just started to lay. Not getting many eggs yet. My Leghorns and Red Sex-Links are still laying but everyone else stopped. It's pretty pathetic when I get maybe a dozen eggs from nearly 100 layers. the other 100 are the pullets. I know they need a break. Waiting...
hmm.png

[COLOR=333333]I have had Khaki Campbell ducks for a few years now and love them. They lay 300+ eggs a year and are GREAT bug control. When my chickens stop laying due to molting or the summer heat I can always count on the Khaki hens to give me a few eggs. The eggs are richer in taste and are excellent for baking. [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]They don't really fly but when they do it is only a foot or so off the ground and for short distances. The 7 I have now are free ranged all day and they get along with my turkeys, chickens and geese. I provided them with a kiddie pool and that is all they really need as far as something to swim in but be prepared to change the water daily. They are very messy in the pool. [/COLOR]
are the ducks good for controlling ticks. I hsve guinnea fiel for that and they are not doing a good job do far. We pulled 27 ticks off of dogs today!!

are the ducks good for controlling ticks. I hsve guinnea fiel for that and they are not doing a good job do far. We pulled 27 ticks off of dogs today!!
I have to say yes. I live on 10 acres and have only pulled off 2 or 3 ticks from all 5 of my dogs. I am surprised that the Guineas are not doing their job. When we had Guineas I never saw any ticks on the dogs or cats and they even took care of the neighbor's property. Mine free ranged the entire 10 acres plus the neighbor's four acres.

Thanks so much for the response!

I've been following the duck breed focus series that's been going on but they haven't covered Khaki Campbell's yet. So far they've had Indian Runners, Magpies, Call Ducks, Cayuga, Silver Appleyard and Welsh Harlequin. It's been a very interesting series, hope they get to the Khaki's soon.

What are their personalities like? Since these will be my first ducks, I want something people-friendly.

And if you don't mind me asking, where did you get them?
They are a bit aloof towards people. I hatched all of my ducks myself and handled them a lot as ducklings. Today they will allow me to get close to them or if I am sitting they will come up to me and eat out of my hand but they run if you try to pick them up. I got them from Celtic Oak Farm on Merritt Island. I'm not sure if she still has them. I usually have eggs and ducklings for sale in the spring. All the eggs I collect from now until December are used for Holiday baking.

They are a bit aloof towards people. I hatched all of my ducks myself and handled them a lot as ducklings. Today they will allow me to get close to them or if I am sitting they will come up to me and eat out of my hand but they run if you try to pick them up. I got them from Celtic Oak Farm on Merritt Island. I'm not sure if she still has them. I usually have eggs and ducklings for sale in the spring. All the eggs I collect from now until December are used for Holiday baking.

Thank you for sharing your Khaki Campbell experience with me!

Hello there. I just got my ducklings in the mail- was anticipating 10 - but Metzer mistakenly shipped through the holiday and so the babies were in a shipping facility for 4 days before they got to me. So now I only have 5 ducks. Since I'm raising them for egg production - and the idea is to never have to purchase store bought eggs again, I want a total of 10 ducks. But I'm hesitant to trust shipping them again. Does anyone know of a place in Florida or even possible a person on this site that is looking to sell some Runners/khaki Campbells/white layers/golden layers? It would be fine if they are fully grown or already laying.

Back
Top Bottom