FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

@Bean789 Thanks for your response!
I sold my silkies here (they were pet quality, in trying to get some better quality). Frizzled cochins, I think. :rolleyes: And I'm getting laying chicks when we get there.
I found a few breeders online yesterday, but I'd still appreciate any recommendations you have!
Anyone here that has bought from Sunshine Silkies or IndigoEgg?

I sold my silkies here (they were pet quality, in trying to get some better quality). Frizzled cochins, I think.
roll.png
And I'm getting laying chicks when we get there.
I found a few breeders online yesterday, but I'd still appreciate any recommendations you have!

They are both friends of mine and have superior birds. Either one or the other usually takes champion feather-legs and grand champion at the shows.

Last edited:
Quote:
They are both BYC members but neither has been on BYC for well over a couple of years. They usually go to most of the shows. Here are the shows closest to us. They usually go to many of the northern shows too but this year many of the shows have been cancelled due to the Avian Influenza.

Panhandle Poultry Club Show
Pensacola Interstate Fairgrounds
6655 Mobile Highway
Pensacola, FL
December 12, 2015 (winter show)
March 19, 2016 (spring show)

Florida Sunshine Classic
Columbia County Fairgrounds
Florida 247
Lake City, FL
Always 2nd weekend in January

Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Association Show
Coweta Co. Fairgrounds
275 Pine Rd.
Newnan, GA 30263
Always 3rd weekend of February

Orange Blossom Special
Citrus County Fairgrounds Arena
3600 South Florida Ave.
Inverness, Florida
March 5, 2016

I sold my silkies here (they were pet quality, in trying to get some better quality). Frizzled cochins, I think.
roll.png
And I'm getting laying chicks when we get there.
One of my friends I mentioned has bought from IndigoEgg. Bobbi Porto has some beautiful birds. I have been there to see them myself and she is much sought after for her birds.

I haven't bought from Sunshine Silkies before, but she is another very reputable breeder, and I know people who have bought from her before.

You would do well from either of those breeders or anyone who has their breeding quality birds. Both of them do well at the FL shows.

Funny, I don't breed Silkies at all (have about 4 pet quality though amongst my flocks) but my friend Scott does and we travel the FL highways in search of better birds. People who know people. LOL

I am sending you a PM with his number for your reference. By the time you get here, he may have some started chicks that came from IndigoEggs and other sources that I have not mentioned here.

There is another lady in Dunellon who has just about any color Silkie you could want. I will ask for her permission to pass along her info. Very nice lady and has shown many times before.

Good day all, I am a new chicken keeper. (2 years) my question is, do florida chickens stop laying in the autumn and winter? Didn't have much production in the hot summer even though we had fans, fresh water at all times, I have seven very health hens. Molting is completed and oyster shell provided. 4 Easter eggers, 1 Leghorn, 1 RIR. And Astrolop. All under 2 1/2 years

Yes they slow down in the heat, and then they slow down again because of the days getting shorter.
If you wish for them to lay in the winter months you need to light them.

Back
Top Bottom