FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Is there anyone near me or somewhat near me that has really nice GL Wyandotte chicks for sale?

I'm in North Central FL.
caf.gif

Hi, I'm new here and new to chickens but I've been doing research for a couple weeks. I live in Homestead, FL (Southeast) and just bought 2 Rhode Island reds chicks from the local feed store. I was looking to get 2 more about the same size, but different varities (preferably those that lay blue/green eggs)....anyone on here have any suggestions? Really rather not order online because I'll pay more for shipping than I would for just 2 more chicks.

Thanks in advance for any help!! Glad I joined.

~Kristin

Hi Kristin,

EE's (Easter Eggers) will lay coloed eggs and are readily found at feed stores. They would have been ordered by the feed store from hatchery like the RiR's you just got. I am sure you an find a couple local to you. The EE's are by far my favorite out of my flock. So much so I am hatching more now to increase my colored eggs out put.
welcome-byc.gif

Shellie

I've already tried the local feed stores, but thats what I'm looking for, or an Araucana. I'd also like to add a Plymouth Rock or a Dominique and a Delaware or Orpington or Faverolle. There are so many options but those were all my favorites! 6 is going to be my max, hubby is starting the coop next weekend. I'm real excited! The garden beds are in, the seeds are started, and hubby is getting my dirt mix Monday.

Thanks again!

~Kristin

Chickens favorite food is fresh green things growing in gardens. You should have seen them in my herb garden, a bite of basil, a bite of oregano, a bite of thyme then back to basil. Peas and beans another favorite. I think they wait until they are ripe to attachthe tomatoes. They can get enough tomatoes or strawberries. For that matter anything red, canna lilies, crepe myrtle are other faves. Neighbor and I have lots of little fences

Quote:
I have asked the local feed stores to special order chicks for me . . . . YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING WHEN YOU DO THIS.
I got 2 speckled sussex and 2 partridge rocks this way last year. I requested pullets to. It cost me around $3 a chick ( and no shipping).
Not all feed stores will do special orders - - - so ask around and you will find one that says "no problem"!

To Christa, and anyone else interested, I will be processing roosters in small batches throughout the month of April. I am planning to do some on Sat April 2. There are already 2-4 other folks planning to be there on that day, so there may not be much more room left at the table for working. I'll probably be ready to do more the following week, and then in the weeks to come. I don't have a lot of room in my refrigerator, so I don't do more than 6-8 at a time. They need to "rest" in the refrigerator a few days, then I simmer their meat off and store it in small packets in the freezer.

I also have borrowed a pressure canner, and would LOVE to try my hand at preserving the meat that way. Anyone familiar with doing that? Wanna come show me how?

I also have young started chicks, now about 9 weeks old. They're old enough to tell their sex. I have 2 Americana pullets, a Naked Neck that I think is a pullet, and the rest are mixed-breeds. I'm asking $10 each for the chicks, they're fully feathered & have been thriving outdoors for several weeks now.

9 more to reach 300 members
wee.gif

sunny I wish I was closer to pick that NN chick
barnie.gif

can you post a pic anyway? who knows I might just drive up there again
wink.png

Last edited:
I'm in western West Palm Beach, I don't know if this NN chick is worth the drive from Ocala. But I'll try to get a photo for you all to see. This is the first NN we've had here, it's so weird! We like to watch it when it eats, and see the lumps of food slide down its neck into its crop.

Back
Top Bottom