FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Listen to cmom. I apologize for not taking into account that there are a variety of ways to set up brooder boxes. I used a big tote, and put the heating pad under one side, which is why I kept the temperature higher on the one end. That way, they would venture to the cooler side to eat, and drink, then return to the warmer side as needed. They could easily self regulate their temperature. For sleeping, they usually chose more towards the middle of the brooder box.

cmom's set up is great. The lights, and fan keep the temperatures much more stable throughout the whole brooder box, and yes, in that case I would keep the temperature at around 95 for the first week.

Thanks for setting me straight, cmom. I must not assume, I must not assume, I must not assume.
smile.png

Listen to cmom. I apologize for not taking into account that there are a variety of ways to set up brooder boxes. I used a big tote, and put the heating pad under one side, which is why I kept the temperature higher on the one end. That way, they would venture to the cooler side to eat, and drink, then return to the warmer side as needed. They could easily self regulate their temperature. For sleeping, they usually chose more towards the middle of the brooder box.

cmom's set up is great. The lights, and fan keep the temperatures much more stable throughout the whole brooder box, and yes, in that case I would keep the temperature at around 95 for the first week.

Thanks for setting me straight, cmom. I must not assume, I must not assume, I must not assume.
smile.png

My opinion is what works for one person may not be for another. I was trying to give some ideas. I have actually tried a heating pad but the chicks didn't seem to like it so I had a lamp kit that I was intending to make a lamp out of and hadn't yet so I decided to make a brooder box with it and it worked out great. The chicks snooze a lot their first day of their hatch and each chick is different and will find it's spot. If the box is to warm they will get as far away from the bulb and if their cool they will be right under it. I try to keep the temperature around 90ºF and the chick are scattered and find their own comfort zone.
After they hatch they like the warmth from the bulb while they dry out.

Hatching

Pheasant chicks hatching.

Chicks drying out.

Pheasant chicks.

For the record, shortly after I began hatching, I did set up a better brooder, with lamps. Currently, I'm eyeballing the Sweeter Heater. I'd like several, but can't afford them all at once.

Even with the lamps, I offset them more to one side, so they could find their own comfort zone. I can pull chicks from the incubator, and they can finish drying on the warmer end.

That will work fine. Do you have a thermometer probe just to check the temperature? Just curious.
I do the same thing with the light/heat more at one end.

If you look at the second picture, slightly left, just under the wood cross brace on the top, you will see something there. That something is a thermometer taped in place.

Back
Top Bottom