FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Yes, she will be at the show in Inverness on March 5th. She usually brings sale birds. She is a top breeder.

I've tried emailing her and haven't gotten a response
1f629.png

Come join us for a day of talking, swapping & selling poultry, other livestock & other farm related items @ The Crystal River Mall Rural King Farm Swap.
frow.gif

I will be bringing to the Farm Swaps: Rhode Island Red and Red Sex-Links, fresh brown eggs, also a couple of eggs turners that will fit most all of the styrofoam incubators.
These are farm swaps only so we ask that there are no flea market or garage sale items. Tell your neighbors, tell your friends, heck we don't care if you tell your enemies. Meet us for a beautiful day of buying, selling or swapping your farm related wares. As Always, No Fees! Come join us for our Monthly Farm Swaps.

Crystal River Mall and Rural King monthly Farm Swap Meet, next to Office Max
9:00 AM TO around 1:00 PM
Always the 4th Saturday Monthly, RAIN OR SHINE
1801 NW US Hwy.19
Crystal River, FL 34428

Tractor Supply Company Farm Swap Meet, Dunnellon, FL
9:00 AM TO around 1:00 PM
Always the 2nd Saturday Monthly, RAIN OR SHINE
11252 N Williams St,
Dunnellon, FL 34432

Sadly, I must report that all of my chicks that I got from the mail have died over the last 4 days. I lost the last one today.

This is what I think happened. The post office delivered them to my door - the hatchery - Chickens for Backyards, explained that they are not supposed to do that, that that is terribly stressful on them, that I am to pick them up at the post office. (the weather was in the 70s, so it wasn't due to weather I don't think)

Second - I didn't have enough heat on them and for what ever reason, after they arrived, they all huddled by the gate, instead of going to roost over the heated area I provided them - several of them froze over night because of this.

So, I lost two Australorps, two Sussexes, two Barred Rocks and one RIR. *sighs*

The replacement shipment should arrive Tuesday of next week. I am so worried I will screw this up.

Need some opinions.......I got a few seramas from a lady that breeds them very nice lady very pritty birds. Heres the problem I brought it home and noticed the roosters tail was leaning over so I can on here read up and first thought was wry tail so....I researched more and called her we talked and she said she has no other birds with that problem she has dad and all moms and there fine same with rest of the babys....so next thought was could it be possible he was in a box not tall enough for him for to long and damaged it the box was small...it thats the case will it fix after time now that hes has the room and should I breed him....I no wry tail is in gens but she is positive none have it but him. I will try to get pic dont upload good on my phone

Last edited:
Sadly, I must report that all of my chicks that I got from the mail have died over the last 4 days. I lost the last one today.

This is what I think happened. The post office delivered them to my door - the hatchery - Chickens for Backyards, explained that they are not supposed to do that, that that is terribly stressful on them, that I am to pick them up at the post office. (the weather was in the 70s, so it wasn't due to weather I don't think)

Second - I didn't have enough heat on them and for what ever reason, after they arrived, they all huddled by the gate, instead of going to roost over the heated area I provided them - several of them froze over night because of this.

So, I lost two Australorps, two Sussexes, two Barred Rocks and one RIR. *sighs*

The replacement shipment should arrive Tuesday of next week. I am so worried I will screw this up.

Sorry you lost your chicks. That's really disappointing.
hugs.gif

Be sure to notify your local post office that live chicks are coming on Tuesday, give them your telephone number and also talk to your home mail delivery person. They need to call you as soon as the box hits your local post office...driving around in the delivery truck is hard on them.

Do you have a thermometer in the brooder so you can monitor the heat? That first week they should have the temps around 95* and drop it by 5* every week after that. You'll want your heat lamp set up at one end of the brooder so the chicks can move under it if they are chilly or move away from it if they are too warm. When chicks are comfortable, they'll be running around the brooder, not huddled at one end.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck with your next batch!

Quote:
I agree. I'm so sad for your loss. Also good luck with your next batch. I have had hatchery chicks and have called my local post office and let them know I was expecting chicks to show up at the post office on a certain day. I actually gave them my cell phone number and sat out in the parking lot waiting for a call. The chicks are delivered by priority mail. Usually the priority mail comes into my post office around 6am, 11am and 3pm.

I know I have posted these pictures before, but go to Walmart (any store) and get a styrofoam cooler and a lamp kit with 15 watt bulb. This will keep them warm without cooking them. Actually a 15 watt bulb can heat up a cooler very well. Total cost around $10.00. You can put paper towel in the bottom for the chick poop and easy to clean up just take out and replace daily. I do put pine shavings in the bottom of mine but also have used paper towels. I have hatched thousands of chicks and have lost very few compared to the numbers I have hatched. Every once in a great while for some reason or other a chick will die but most live. Hopefully you can get something to brood your chicks. At least this is an alternative until you figure out what you want for a brooder. I am trying to help you give your chicks the best possible start in life. Even though I have a lot of birds, I get very attached to them all. There are times when I need to sell some and it is difficult to part with them.

Here the lids are on the coolers and opened a little so the chicks don't cook. The styrofoam incubators are used as hatchers. I have a cabinet I incubate in.

There are probably chicks in the coolers with the lids open and eggs hatching in the other styrofoam incubators/hatchers.

Any styrofoam cooler will work. The cooler in the top of this picture I also use as a hatcher, the bottom cooler I use strictly as a brooder for the new hatches.

Since they don't hatch at once probably the youngest of the hatch are under the bulb getting the heat while the chicks that hatched first are not.

These are chicks I hatched for a friend. Serama chick in the feeder and another Serama chick watching it.

I hatched these out for a friend and they are going to their new home.

I agree. I'm so sad for your loss. Also good luck with your next batch. I have had hatchery chicks and have called my local post office and let them know I was expecting chicks to show up at the post office on a certain day. I actually gave them my cell phone number and sat out in the parking lot waiting for a call. The chicks are delivered by priority mail. Usually the priority mail comes into my post office around 6am, 11am and 3pm. I know I have posted these pictures before, but go to Walmart (any store) and get a styrofoam cooler and a lamp kit with 15 watt bulb. This will keep them warm without cooking them. Actually a 15 watt bulb can heat up a cooler very well. Total cost around $10.00. You can put paper towel in the bottom for the chick poop and easy to clean up just take out and replace daily. I do put pine shavings in the bottom of mine but also have used paper towels. I have hatched thousands of chicks and have lost very few compared to the numbers I have hatched. Every once in a great while for some reason or other a chick will die but most live. Hopefully you can get something to brood your chicks. At least this is an alternative until you figure out what you want for a brooder. I am trying to help you give your chicks the best possible start in life. Even though I have a lot of birds, I get very attached to them all. There are times when I need to sell some and it is difficult to part with them. Here the lids are on the coolers and opened a little so the chicks don't cook. The styrofoam incubators are used as hatchers. I have a cabinet I incubate in. There are probably chicks in the coolers with the lids open and eggs hatching in the other styrofoam incubators/hatchers. Any styrofoam cooler will work. The cooler in the top of this picture I also use as a hatcher, the bottom cooler I use strictly as a brooder for the new hatches. Since they don't hatch at once probably the youngest of the hatch are under the bulb getting the heat while the chicks that hatched first are not. These are chicks I hatched for a friend. Serama chick in the feeder and another Serama chick watching it. I hatched these out for a friend and they are going to their new home.

Sorry you lost your chicks. That's really disappointing.
hugs.gif

Be sure to notify your local post office that live chicks are coming on Tuesday, give them your telephone number and also talk to your home mail delivery person. They need to call you as soon as the box hits your local post office...driving around in the delivery truck is hard on them.

Do you have a thermometer in the brooder so you can monitor the heat? That first week they should have the temps around 95* and drop it by 5* every week after that. You'll want your heat lamp set up at one end of the brooder so the chicks can move under it if they are chilly or move away from it if they are too warm. When chicks are comfortable, they'll be running around the brooder, not huddled at one end.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck with your next batch!
I have contacted the PO and they couldn't understand why my chicks were delivered - they said that wasn't their SOP. I gave them my phone number and address with specific instructions to contact me when they arrive.

The heat issue is so weird because I set up a brooder with a heat pad under some shavings and a shoe box on top of it with its sides cut out so they could go under there and get warm - but they wouldn't do that for the first night - insisting on standing in the cold area of the crate. I do need to get a thermometer. I have since ordered a heat lamp for them complete with red heat bulb. I am so hopeful for this next batch. I feel so bad about losing the first batch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom