FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

First I want to introduce myself as this is my first post. I am an urban gardener and school teacher looking to add chickens to my backyard garden.

I have spent the last weeks reading posts on this forum and I have learned a lot, I had originally planned to build a chicken coop and run but now I am debating whether the coop is necessary for my hens in central Florida. Unfortunately I do not have shade trees in my back yard and although I intend to plant them around the coop when I am done with construction it will likely be several years before they are big enough to really shade my yard and run. My back yard is south facing so it gets some pretty intense heat during the day, upwards of 110-115 degrees Fahrenheit on my thermometer on the patio in the direct sun. In the winter we rarely get more than 2 consecutive nights below freezing temperatures and maybe 10-15 nights a year of night time temps in the 30's (with wind chill).

Considering these conditions and what I have read on this and other websites I am wondering if I should scrap the coop plans and just make a really strong (read: predator proof) run with a couple of nesting boxes and roosts and the essentials and just protect the girls from the occasional cold by covering the coop with tarps or other wind breaks much like I would cover beloved plants on of the few nights we get a "frost warning” or a wind chill advisory.

I’m planning to design and build (with the help of my husband of course) a 6 x10 run with a solid roof, all 4 sides hardwire cloth (as well as the bottom of the coop) and a people sized door on the north side. I also plan on adding wooden lattice to allow for additional shade without limiting airflow on at least 2, if not 3 of the sides – South side and West side for sure since the sun is most intense in the afternoon and possibly the East side if the morning sun becomes too intense as well in the summer. Also, I should note my hens probably wont be able to free range much at all where we live which is why I am going with a 6x10 run for my 3 hens.

I’m concerned that if the hens do not have a completely enclosed “coop” that it would be detrimental to their behavior and/or health in the long run. Is a coop something they really need to feel safe and secure at night, to keep them dry during night time thunder storms which are very common in central Florida?
Or will they be perfectly happy sitting “high and dry” on a well-placed roost in an open run that keeps them out of the rain and allows them to enjoy the hot and humid breezes during our summer nights that are often in the mid to upper 80’s?

I welcome any and all advice or suggestions!

Welcome to Chicken Keeping,

I am in Winter Springs, not too far from you. Sounds like you are well on the road to keeping happy chickens. I will tell you what I have done and it has worked well for my little flock. I have a 10 x 12 enclosed run that comes off the back of my house. That would probably conflict with codes in Orlando. I used white lattice around it and plant pole beans on the outside which give shade and greens to the birds and I get some beans for myself. There is also 1 inch wire around the bottom half, inside the lattice.

The more space to scratch and dust bathe the better. My coop is a converted raised garden spot. The underpart is open so they can scratch and get more shade. The floor is 1 x 1/2 wire so dropping fall through and there is more airflow. I seldom have to clean it out since the go under and scratch it up. There is also a section below the roof that is open welded wire that also helps with ventilation. It has some perches and a nestbox off the side of it. It has a solid roof and I keep the food in it so it will stay dry except with severe blowing rains. If it gets damp I just dump it right away and they scratch thru and get what they want so not too much is wasted. My run top is 2 inch chicken wire, but a solid roof would be better. Silly girls will roost outside if given a chance regardless of the weather since my door is a lift door and if I don't drop it down that is a favorite spot. They seem to enjoy the summer rains and the little cold we get here does not bother them at all.

Some shade and fresh water is most important in this Florida heat, I lost two that were in a separate cage with food, water. They were in the shade but the sun moved more quickly across the sky than I realized and they got too hot quickly. I was so angry with myself.

Hope this helps you create a space for your girlies to be safe and enjoy.

Some pics you can click to enlarge

Outside has green beans and pepper planted around the bottom. Waterproof rubber can is for shavings to use in nestbox since my garage is full!!

You can see some sun shining under and shade toward the left side

Top wire allows more airflow, but some driving rain will get in, has not been a serious problem

First I want to introduce myself as this is my first post. I am an urban gardener and school teacher looking to add chickens to my backyard garden.

I have spent the last weeks reading posts on this forum and I have learned a lot, I had originally planned to build a chicken coop and run but now I am debating whether the coop is necessary for my hens in central Florida. Unfortunately I do not have shade trees in my back yard and although I intend to plant them around the coop when I am done with construction it will likely be several years before they are big enough to really shade my yard and run. My back yard is south facing so it gets some pretty intense heat during the day, upwards of 110-115 degrees Fahrenheit on my thermometer on the patio in the direct sun. In the winter we rarely get more than 2 consecutive nights below freezing temperatures and maybe 10-15 nights a year of night time temps in the 30's (with wind chill).

Considering these conditions and what I have read on this and other websites I am wondering if I should scrap the coop plans and just make a really strong (read: predator proof) run with a couple of nesting boxes and roosts and the essentials and just protect the girls from the occasional cold by covering the coop with tarps or other wind breaks much like I would cover beloved plants on of the few nights we get a "frost warning” or a wind chill advisory.

I’m planning to design and build (with the help of my husband of course) a 6 x10 run with a solid roof, all 4 sides hardwire cloth (as well as the bottom of the coop) and a people sized door on the north side. I also plan on adding wooden lattice to allow for additional shade without limiting airflow on at least 2, if not 3 of the sides – South side and West side for sure since the sun is most intense in the afternoon and possibly the East side if the morning sun becomes too intense as well in the summer. Also, I should note my hens probably wont be able to free range much at all where we live which is why I am going with a 6x10 run for my 3 hens.

I’m concerned that if the hens do not have a completely enclosed “coop” that it would be detrimental to their behavior and/or health in the long run. Is a coop something they really need to feel safe and secure at night, to keep them dry during night time thunder storms which are very common in central Florida?
Or will they be perfectly happy sitting “high and dry” on a well-placed roost in an open run that keeps them out of the rain and allows them to enjoy the hot and humid breezes during our summer nights that are often in the mid to upper 80’s?

Hi and Welcome! I think what most of us Floridians have as coops would actually count as runs to most others. I call my coops the warm weather coops. I use hardware clothe on 3 sides, have one solid wall that have the nest boxes and roost against that wall to block wind. And the rest of it is pretty much open. I will hang a tarp if needed to block any additional wind, but making sure that the airflow is still good. All of my coops are 12x12, because chicken math is a serious matter. So you may want to make it a bit larger then you need incase you decide on more. From your post it sounds like you have done your homework and know what you need to do, and you will always be able to get lots of advise here. Good luck!

Hello sunshine state from brevard
1f3dd.png

Welcome to Florida chickens.

I"m a Melbourne'ite and as I saw in other posts, I have a "cold weather" coop and am building a run where I expect they'll be most of the time in the summer. My run and coop is in the back yard with little shade so, I'm planting a Crape Myrtle (fast grower) inside the run and sunflowers around the outside. Sunflowers will be dual purpose: shade and food.

Have fun with yours. Ask questions. We're all pretty friendly.

Welcome to Chicken Keeping, I am in Winter Springs, not too far from you. Sounds like you are well on the road to keeping happy chickens. I will tell you what I have done and it has worked well for my little flock. I have a 10 x 12 enclosed run that comes off the back of my house. That would probably conflict with codes in Orlando. I used white lattice around it and plant pole beans on the outside which give shade and greens to the birds and I get some beans for myself. There is also 1 inch wire around the bottom half, inside the lattice. The more space to scratch and dust bathe the better. My coop is a converted raised garden spot. The underpart is open so they can scratch and get more shade. The floor is 1 x 1/2 wire so dropping fall through and there is more airflow. I seldom have to clean it out since the go under and scratch it up. There is also a section below the roof that is open welded wire that also helps with ventilation. It has some perches and a nestbox off the side of it. It has a solid roof and I keep the food in it so it will stay dry except with severe blowing rains. If it gets damp I just dump it right away and they scratch thru and get what they want so not too much is wasted. My run top is 2 inch chicken wire, but a solid roof would be better. Silly girls will roost outside if given a chance regardless of the weather since my door is a lift door and if I don't drop it down that is a favorite spot. They seem to enjoy the summer rains and the little cold we get here does not bother them at all. Some shade and fresh water is most important in this Florida heat, I lost two that were in a separate cage with food, water. They were in the shade but the sun moved more quickly across the sky than I realized and they got too hot quickly. I was so angry with myself. Hope this helps you create a space for your girlies to be safe and enjoy. Some pics you can click to enlarge Outside has green beans and pepper planted around the bottom. Waterproof rubber can is for shavings to use in nestbox since my garage is full!! You can see some sun shining under and shade toward the left side Top wire allows more airflow, but some driving rain will get in, has not been a serious problem
Very Nice. I was thinking of plantings around the run as well. Good to see it works so well. Blessings.

Just a reminder for tomorrows:

Crystal River Mall Rural King monthly Farm Swap Meet
9:00 AM TO around 1:00 PM
Always the ***4th Saturday Monthly*** RAIN OR SHINE
1801 NW US Hwy.19
Crystal River, FL 34428
---> MAP
The Farm Swap is outside in the mall parking lot area next to the main mall entrance on Hwy 19 and Office Max, across the parking lot from Rural King.
Supposed to be in the mid 60's and sunny.

Come join us for a day of talking, swapping and selling poultry, other livestock and other farm related items. I will be bringing to the Farm Swap: Rhode Island Red and Red Sex-Links, fresh brown eggs, also a couple of eggs turners that will fit most all of the styrofoam incubators.

Also there will be 4 African baby geese, Buff Orpington roosters, Also guinea hens, (2) RIR pullets not laying yet, (2) ISA brown pullets not laying yet, some slow grow red broilers perfect for eating(Cornish hens) or use the hens for eggs.

Also there will be some pet beds in various sizes, colors and fabrics, to provide comfort to your pets, also animals recovering from illness or injury.
Rural King also has chicks for sale of several different breeds. Hope to see everyone there!
frow.gif

We had a very successful swap. Most people sold what they brought. I sold all of the birds I took. Should have taken more birds, I could have sold them. I'm taking my culls unless someone specifically asks for a show quality bird. Most people are looking for egg layers. I do have a lot of nice potential show quality. I will be showing at the CFPBA Poultry Show this next weekend in Inverness, FL, at the Citrus County fairgrounds auditorium.

Hi everyone!

Several of the coops/runs I have gotten inspiration from are:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-hen-den (I love this one)
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/5429628845.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/281477/hot-weather-chicken-coops

I have closed coops. My avatar are some of my coops. The are open on the top on both sides but can be shut. I now have trees in all of the pens but before I had the trees we made shade/rain tables for each pen. During the heat and rain the birds do get under the tables.
I have a couple of coop that are open on one side but had a problem when the rain came from that direction of the feed getting wet so I put tarps up.

Last edited:
We had a very successful swap. Most people sold what they brought. I sold all of the birds I took. Should have taken more birds, I could have sold them. I'm taking my culls unless someone specifically asks for a show quality bird. Most people are looking for egg layers.  I do have a lot of nice potential show quality. I will be showing at the CFPBA Poultry Show this next weekend in Inverness, FL, at the Citrus County fairgrounds auditorium.

Congratulations, cmom! Happy for you. We have to stay away until we have some property or we will surely be evicted for living in a chicken coop! LOL

Thank you so much for your post and pictures! It is very helpful to hear what works in our area since our climate is so unique! I am playing around with my plans still and I was not sure if the hens would be upset or distressed during a thunderstorm without a coop to hide in. I am planning to make the run very secure and protected from as much sun as I can and I'm planting some trees that will eventually grow up around them eventually and I love the idea of growing edibles around the coop! Thanks again for the great tips :)

Thank you so much for your post and pictures! It is very helpful to hear what works in our area since our climate is so unique! I am playing around with my plans still and I was not sure if the hens would be upset or distressed during a thunderstorm without a coop to hide in. I am planning to make the run very secure and protected from as much sun as I can and I'm planting some trees that will eventually grow up around them eventually and I love the idea of growing edibles around the coop! Thanks again for the great tips :)
welcome-byc.gif
If you don't have a coop beware of aerial predators. I have had hawks and owls kill birds in the past. Now all of my pens are covered with heavy duty netting and have not lost any birds since I put up the netting. You may be able to see it in some of the pictures. The one picture with no tarps over the open side was taken before I put the netting and I was loosing birds out of them. I put my game camera up and that is how I discovered it was an owl killing them. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom