FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Help! Had 5 chicks kinda dumped on me...and they are dying one by one! Have never lost chicks in my previous batches, but these are going quick! Symptoms are lethargy, loose stool,(no blood) and then death! Appreciate any advice. Yes, under heat, and being fed chick starter...
1f60a.png

Are they too hot? Make them drink water with electrolytes - I've watered down toddler pedialite and had my chicks drink that for a day or two when they had diarrhea and I didnt have the offical electrolytes for poultry mix. Also keep them away from any other poultry you may have. Keep food available, light air circulation and shade in this heat are essential. Mine are on my porch in a booder box under a ceiling fan on low NO Heat Lamp. Good luck.

Last edited:
Clay Miller Nbc NewsToday, Wink news, Fox 36, And ABC news please contact them. I will post the city council, Mayor, head of code enforcement, city attorney, and city manager.

4H kids are being pushed out of Cape Coral after the city attorney who was in office in 20O7 said 4H kids could have chickens for educational purposes and to show at the SW Fl Lee County Fair. A decision was made in April that they can no more keep them do to non 4H kids poorly keeping their chicken. This only affects 4-5 families so she must feel that these kids are a danger to the Cape. Instead of going after non 4H kids and going after the 100's of unlawful chicken keepers is is easier to go after kids. My 11 year old son spoke in front of the City Council which only lead to code enforcement saying that as of April it is has been outlawed even though it is still in the ordinance. The hearing will be the end of July or August.
Brandon Parker

What a shame. My son would be devastated as he's litterally counting down the days til he is 5 and can join 4H to share his chickens with the world. Getting chicks and raising them has been a total game changer as far as his behaviors and verbalization. He was in behavior therapy and nearly removed from preschool and left with 'alternative programs' because of his behavior and delays in speech and other areas. But since he got his chicks he has boomed! He talks, does well in school, and his undesirable behaviors toward others have been greatly reduced. He's a much happier kid with 'chicken care taking duties' than he ever was without. He even sings and makes up songs for his 'girls'. - He has dogs and fish too, but no relationship like he has with the chickens. Hope things get worked out in favor of keeping chickens, not just for the kids, but for the other chicken keeping residents too. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Just a reminder of our upcoming swaps.
We have added a couple new swaps. We have obtained permission to hold these swaps at these businesses. We are local People getting together. Fun for the whole family. We have lot's of birds and often other livestock, animals and Pet Beds for your pets. If you are just thinking about chickens or small livestock or already have an established flock, then you won't want to miss these events. Come join us for a day of talking, swapping and selling poultry and small livestock, etc. Swap stories and information. Maybe you have some chickens you need to re-home, rabbits, goats, a calf, pigs, Turkeys, geese, ducks, horses, used tack, eating eggs or hatching eggs to sell? How about some pieces of old farm equipment, a small tractor, harrow or what have you. Maybe you have plants and trees. What are you going to do? Bring them on down to the Farm Swaps. We suggest vendors bring either a canopy or umbrella, there are some shaded areas, some open areas. These are farm swaps only so PLEASE we ask that there are no flea market or garage sale items. Tell your neighbors, tell your friends, heck we don't care if you tell your enemies. Meet us for a beautiful day of buying, selling or swapping your farm related wares. As Always, No Fees! Come join us for our Monthly Farm Swaps.

Crystal River Mall and Rural King monthly Farm Swap Meet
9:00 AM TO around 1:00 PM
Always the 4th Saturday Monthly, RAIN OR SHINE
1801 NW US Hwy.19
Crystal River, FL 34428

Tractor Supply Company Farm Swap Meet, Dunnellon, FL
Always the 2nd Saturday Monthly, RAIN OR SHINE
11252 N Williams St,
Dunnellon, FL 34432

Homosassa Tractor Supply Company Farm Swap Meet
Always the 3rd Saturday Monthly
3826 S Suncoast Blvd. (US 19 S)
Homosassa, FL. 34448

(352) 621-0583

Dunnellon Feed & Farm Supplies Swap Meet
9:30 AM TO around 3:00 PM
Always the 1st Saturday Monthly
5304 South Highway 41
Dunnellon, FL. 34432
(352) 875-4889

Last edited:
Thought this hot hot hot weather would affect my one (so far) chicken laying eggs but no...she pulled a fast one on me. This is a picture of Saturday's beside Sunday's (bigger one). I'm guessing there's two yolks in it but we are waiting until the weekend to see.
ep.gif

We had a good turnout for our monthly Crystal River Mall Farm Swap. It wasn't quite as busy as usual but that may have been because scallop season also started on Saturday and it was a nice calm day to be out on the water. Most of the vendors did some of what they brought.

Back
Top Bottom