FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I was praying for rain a few days ago and now I'm ready for a break. I have a pond and I put a little bleach in it (¼ tsp to 1 gal of water). I have a pump in it and circulate the water. The bleach will dissipate from the sun, which is out right now. Birds and squirrels drink out of it and so far no problems, but when we had our camper we would put a little in our water tank and if you are on city water it is chlorinated.

We got our 1st egg today!!! Just not sure who it's from, our chickens are 18-22 weeks old.

Woo hoo

So on account of all this rain we been having lately, all the ditches, easements, parts of the property, sides of ad/or corners of the roads, and so on and on...are all swamped.  LOTS of standing water everywhere.  So lots of mosquito breeding possibles.  Pet store stop last night for feeder fish and pop those babies into the kiddie pool so they can munch on larvae then I netted some of them tadpoles that are swimming around in there and tossed them into this puddle, that puddle, everywhere a puddle puddle. This morning, chickens had a treat of 2 of them feeders that looked a little peaked last night and turned "floaters" over night. What a fuss they made chasing each other around for those 2 tiny morsels...such a fuss over so little...tsk.  Silly chickens.

Something they recommend for area with standing water that can't really be dumped, in places like trees or pineapple plants, is neem oil. You dilute it and spray it. I've found a bug sprayer works much better than a spray bottle.

CMOM (probably others).

We had a bit of scare today. Went to pick up son from bus stop and found what we THOUGHT were a couple of our barred rocks 100yds'ish away from the house. Thankfully (cuz I didn't really want to chase chickens down the street) they weren't ours.

BUT, it brought up a good question. Should we be putting leg bands on our birds if we're letting them freely roam our 1 acre yard? I don't think it would hurt anything as long as I get the right size but I've never done it. What are your recommendations? What size do you get?

CMOM (probably others).

We had a bit of scare today. Went to pick up son from bus stop and found what we THOUGHT were a couple of our barred rocks 100yds'ish away from the house. Thankfully (cuz I didn't really want to chase chickens down the street) they weren't ours.

BUT, it brought up a good question. Should we be putting leg bands on our birds if we're letting them freely roam our 1 acre yard? I don't think it would hurt anything as long as I get the right size but I've never done it. What are your recommendations? What size do you get?

Right now I use the colored spiral bands #11 for the females and #12 for the males. At times use the numbered bands too. In this picture is my Patty with her white leg band (bracelet).

Each bird has a band on, the first couple of pictures are the numbered bands and the other are the spiral leg bands.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom