FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

In my showing days in high school, I got two dozen Leghorns. 2 sexed cockerels in brown and white, 11 white pullets and 11 brown pullets. they were raised in identical conditions but couldn't even walk into the run without causing an almost panic with the whites. I had to call to them yards out so they'd hear me coming, and even then, there would be a ruckus. Eventually, for my SAE, I stuck to the browns (and then moved on to BRs, because I just couldn't tame down the leghorns to be taken out of cages during judging at fairs/shows). I guess the breed overall just isn't bred for temperament or somethin'.

What are the symptoms ?

Two of my hens couldn't breath through their noise last night, but today they are fine. They looked sick and acted sick yesterday. They are running and flying all over the place today. I have no idea how they are sick one day and just fine the next.

Last edited:
In my showing days in high school, I got two dozen Leghorns. 2 sexed cockerels in brown and white, 11 white pullets and 11 brown pullets. they were raised in identical conditions but couldn't even walk into the run without causing an almost panic with the whites. I had to call to them yards out so they'd hear me coming, and even then, there would be a ruckus. Eventually, for my SAE, I stuck to the browns (and then moved on to BRs, because I just couldn't tame down the leghorns to be taken out of cages during judging at fairs/shows). I guess the breed overall just isn't bred for temperament or somethin'.

I don't show my Leghorns but I do show my Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds, my Single Comb Rhode Island Reds and my Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites. I have both Brown and White Leghorns. My White Leghorns seem to be more flighty than my Browns do.

Might need to get rid of two white silkie cockerels if anyone is interested message me I'm in central Florida I'll be sure if they're cockerel or not in a week or two.

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder of our swap meet on Saturday.

DUNNELLON TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY Farm Swap Meet, Dunnellon, Florida
9:00 AM TO 1:00 PM
Always the ***2nd Saturday Monthly*** RAIN OR SHINE
11252 N Williams St,
Dunnellon, FL 34432
---> MAP
For more info: [email protected]

People getting together. Come join us for a day of talking, swap stories and information, swapping and selling poultry and small livestock. Have some chickens you need to re-home, guineas, goats, rabbits, geese, turkeys, pigs, sheep, pheasants, ducks, pigeons, quail, feeders, waterers, nest boxes, plants, trees, shrubs, produce, starter plants, etc, eating eggs, hatching eggs to sell, country crafts? How about some old barn finds, pieces of old farm equipment, a small tractor, harrow, tack or what have you. Bring it on down to the Farm Swaps. We suggest vendors bring either a canopy or umbrella, there are some shaded areas, some open areas. These are farm swaps only so we ask that there are NO flea market or garage sale items. Tell your neighbors, tell your friends, heck tell your enemies. Meet us for a beautiful day of buying, selling or swapping your farm related wares. As Always, No Fees! Come join us for our Monthly Farm Swaps @

Dunnellon Tractor Supply Company Farm Swap Meet, Dunnellon, FL
9:00 AM TO around 1:00 PM
Always the *** 2nd Saturday Monthly,*** RAIN OR SHINE
11252 N Williams St,
Dunnellon, FL 34432

Crystal River Mall monthly Farm Swap Meet and Rural King Farm store
9:00 AM TO around 1:00 PM
Always the *** 4th Saturday Monthly,*** RAIN OR SHINE
1801 NW US Hwy.19
Crystal River, FL 34428
The Farm Swap is outside in the mall parking lot area next to the main mall entrance on Hwy 19 next to Office Max across the parking lot from Rural King..
For more info on our swaps: [email protected]

Hi,
I'm located in Ft. Myers in SW FL. I am starting fresh with new chicks this spring (2017). I recently sold my flock due to temporary health issues.
I am hoping to find local breeders for pick up or those who will ship day olds. I'm only looking for a few chicks of these breeds:
Bielefelder,
Sulmtaler,
A large strain of Jersey Giant (not hatchery stock)
Marans,
Unusually colored naked necks. Funky colors and combs are cool.
I am looking for LF, not bantams.
I live on 5 acres ans have plenty of room.
Since these chicks will be pets and for eggs, show quality is not a requirement.
Please let me know if anyone is aware of these breeds in FL.

I am truly missing my chickens. It is so quiet without roosters crowing and loud egg songs. I find myself spending a lot of time looking for my favorite breeds. I have had hatchery, but hope to get local to reduce stress on the chicks. I have tried hatching shipped eggs and refuse to throw any more money away. My own always hatched well, but shipped eggs in the same incubator were a disappointment. This is why I prefer live chicks.
I hope everyone will have a Blessed Christmas.

jumpy.gif
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

Hi,
I'm located in Ft. Myers in SW FL. I am starting fresh with new chicks this spring (2017). I recently sold my flock due to temporary health issues.
I am hoping to find local breeders for pick up or those who will ship day olds. I'm only looking for a few chicks of these breeds:
Bielefelder,
Sulmtaler,
A large strain of Jersey Giant (not hatchery stock)
Marans,
Unusually colored naked necks. Funky colors and combs are cool.
I am looking for LF, not bantams.
I live on 5 acres ans have plenty of room.
Since these chicks will be pets and for eggs, show quality is not a requirement.
Please let me know if anyone is aware of these breeds in FL.

I am truly missing my chickens. It is so quiet without roosters crowing and loud egg songs. I find myself spending a lot of time looking for my favorite breeds. I have had hatchery, but hope to get local to reduce stress on the chicks. I have tried hatching shipped eggs and refuse to throw any more money away. My own always hatched well, but shipped eggs in the same incubator were a disappointment. This is why I prefer live chicks.
I hope everyone will have a Blessed Christmas.

jumpy.gif
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

Hello, I hope you are able to find all the chickens you are looking for. I'm looking for more Marans myself. I would love to have dark chocolate eggs and not medium brown eggs. I have a lot of fun taking care of my chickens. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Hello! Long time no post. We are looking to get rid of all our Swedish Black Hen stock (Svart Hona). They are so beautiful and friendly but we are getting ready to move to a new property and looking to downsize so we will only be bringing our BCM's when we go. We purchase our breeding stock directly from Greenfire Farms in Tallahassee in October of 2014. The pair are about 2 and a half now and the rest of the stock all comes from them. There are two roosters and 10 hens total. They are still laying (though not as much with the colder weather recently) and we have hatched from them several times with great success. Their fertility is incredible and we used to have a lot of luck selling/shipping the chicks online when we would run our incubators. We hate to see them go but we just don't want to have to move them all with us and build all new pens at our new property. The roosters are totally sweet and have never been aggressive. They are stunning to look at.

We are located right outside of Live Oak Florida about an hour north of Gainesville and would be happy to meet up. We originally planned to sell them in groups of 6, 5 hens and one roo, for $200 but we are open to offers just to get them into a new life with people who will appreciate them :) They really are an awesome breed and it would be a great opportunity for someone looking to start with great quality stock. They have never been mixed with any other lines, they are pure from Greenfire and all 100% black. No clear/pink toes on any of them. Would be happy to send more photos to anyone interested!!

Feel free to message me with any questions, would be happy to talk more privately!

Back
Top Bottom