FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Greetings from Sorrento Florida!

Lake City, Florida. These are my girls. I'm new to BYC. I bought my Red Star hens from a lady in Jasper who bought them from a chicken farm. She has more if anyone's interested. I've had them just over a week and so far we get 2 eggs a day. Once they get used to things that amount should change;) They are loven life right now.

I'm glad to hear that the chickens went to a good home. Good luck with your girls

It is so much fun starting out with new animals. What kind did you get? I have Cuckoo Marans and Easter Eggers.
I got 3 silver laced and 3 golden laced Wyandottes, 2 Araucanas and one black Australorp. Plus got 3 sex link laying hens from my neighbor. :) I really want some Marans too, for the dark brown eggs as well as some Buff Orpingtons.

I got 3 silver laced and 3 golden laced Wyandottes, 2 Araucanas and one black Australorp. Plus got 3 sex link laying hens from my neighbor. :) I really want some Marans too, for the dark brown eggs as well as some Buff Orpingtons.

That is a great variety you have. The Marans are so much fun to have around. The hens are talker and my big Marans rooster has an attitude problem. I think he gets jealous, because my hens are always around me. The Marans hen will take the longest to start laying eggs, but the colors are great. I have medium to light chocolate eggs. I need to buy more hens to get the different shades of chocolate. My Easter Eggers lay blue and green eggs. Really sweet and lay a lot of eggs each week.

I am looking at a move from Iowa to southwestern Florida (Naples area) I only have guinea fowl at this time and wondered if any of you have any words of wisdom or advise on keeping poultry in that climate, what type of coop you have, what precautions you take for predator protections, etc. If anyone has Guineas, I would love to know how they tolerate the hot humid climate there in Florida as well. Lastly, if anyone has moved poultry across the country, I would welcome any suggestions on how to do it as stress free as possible. Any other added words of wisdom that anyone thinks would be helpful would be appreciated too!
Thanks!

I am looking at a move from Iowa to southwestern Florida (Naples area) I only have guinea fowl at this time and wondered if any of you have any words of wisdom or advise on keeping poultry in that climate, what type of coop you have, what precautions you take for predator protections, etc. If anyone has Guineas, I would love to know how they tolerate the hot humid climate there in Florida as well. Lastly, if anyone has moved poultry across the country, I would welcome any suggestions on how to do it as stress free as possible. Any other added words of wisdom that anyone thinks would be helpful would be appreciated too!
Thanks!

I wouldn't move them. The amount of differing bacteria and stuff would likely kill them being from a different part of the country. Plus, it's difficult to cross state lines legally with Fowl. You can get poultry in florida far, far easier than I ever got in the midwest, at least in Minnesota. Craigslist is full of them. As far as coops go, more secure the better, but ironically, it seems the farther out in the country the less you have to worry about predators. I'm in the central part, and my biggest issue is hawks right now, but previous to moving to the country, the raccoons and I were battling a war of attrition. I've seen coyotes, but I have a dog so it hasn't been an issue. Check with regulations on keeping them, Florida can be draconian about HOAs, even in areas you never would have expected them to be.

I wouldn't move them. The amount of differing bacteria and stuff would likely kill them being from a different part of the country. Plus, it's difficult to cross state lines legally with Fowl. You can get poultry in florida far, far easier than I ever got in the midwest, at least in Minnesota. Craigslist is full of them. As far as coops go, more secure the better, but ironically, it seems the farther out in the country the less you have to worry about predators. I'm in the central part, and my biggest issue is hawks right now, but previous to moving to the country, the raccoons and I were battling a war of attrition. I've seen coyotes, but I have a dog so it hasn't been an issue. Check with regulations on keeping them, Florida can be draconian about HOAs, even in areas you never would have expected them to be.

Thanks for your reply! We have actually offered on a house with 3 acres outside the city with no HOA and no restrictions, so hopefully that won't be an issue. I have a small flock of Guineas that I've had since they were keets, so the thought of rehoming them makes me really sad, but I also want to do what is best for them as well. If I had to do that, I'm not really sure that I would get more. I was thinking the country would be far worse for predators so that is good news! Again, thanks for your input...it's good to hear someone's perspective who lived in the Midwest and relocated to Florida too!

Thanks for your reply! We have actually offered on a house with 3 acres outside the city with no HOA and no restrictions, so hopefully that won't be an issue. I have a small flock of Guineas that I've had since they were keets, so the thought of rehoming them makes me really sad, but I also want to do what is best for them as well. If I had to do that, I'm not really sure that I would get more. I was thinking the country would be far worse for predators so that is good news! Again, thanks for your input...it's good to hear someone's perspective who lived in the Midwest and relocated to Florida too!

Perhaps you could save eggs from the flock and bring them down. I just know that moving adult birds doesn't work well for me, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom