FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Fish & Wildlife will tell you that they willl not supply you with a trap.They will tell you to call a trapper which they cost unless it's a hog then it's free. But they tell you to do what ever it takes to protect your livestock.Same ting they told me.Now I shoot anything that comes on my property.If a hawk lands on my property I'm allowed to shoot it.I'm protecting my livestock.
The cat made an appearance tonight while I was at church. The wife heard the chickens hollering up a racket and went out on the back porch to investigate and there was the bobcat taking a stroll right up against the wire of the chicken house/pen. The chicken house is about 20 yards from the back porch. I guess he was looking for a flaw in my design! My wife just yelled at him and she told me the cat just looked at her and casually walked away, didn't even run.

I now have a rifle at the ready on the back porch. Thanks for the info Floridachicken1958!

The cat made an appearance tonight while I was at church. The wife heard the chickens hollering up a racket and went out on the back porch to investigate and there was the bobcat taking a stroll right up against the wire of the chicken house/pen. The chicken house is about 20 yards from the back porch. I guess he was looking for a flaw in my design! My wife just yelled at him and she told me the cat just looked at her and casually walked away, didn't even run.

I now have a rifle at the ready on the back porch. Thanks for the info Floridachicken1958!
Your very welcome, You protect whats yours cause that cat is out to eat anything to keep it's self alive. a male Bobcat has territory 50 mile range.If the animal it kills is to large to eat then it will bury the remains for later.

OMG that is so scary! im so sorry you had to see that. i am totally freaked out about bobcats & panthers (i heard therewill be more of these in the future). IMO nuthin scarier than a dog sized CAT!
I lost one of my Wheaten Marans today. (it HAD to be one of my Wheatens and not one of the mutts didn't it.) Very sad.

Over the last three weeks or so I had lost 2 chickens when I had let them out to free range during the day. One was lame and the other was a mean old mixed breed and I just chalked it up to a hawk and resolved to be more careful. I stopped letting them out except for one hour before dusk when I could be outside with them and watch them till they all went in their coop on their own.
This worked very well since the last attack (last Wed.) and tonight seemed to be no different.
One of the Wheatens, Isabelle, was getting a bit too close to the pond, and I didn't like it because i thought there might be a possibility (very very slim one) that it was a small undetected gator that was doing the killing. (being that there was a distinct lack of evidence)

I started to walk towards the pond, to shoo the chicken back into the main part of the yard and I got about 25 feet from her when she started to run towards me. I couldn't figure out why the sudden change in her behavior and before i could even think, the biggest BOBCAT I had ever seen jumps out of the trees next to the pond and takes two jumps and with front paws extended grabs Isabelle RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. This is with me walking towards the chicken and also with me yelling after I saw what was about to happen.

I would easily say that this was no bobcat but a panther, except for the fact that it had a bobbed tail. This was in daylight, in my backyard where my kids walk and play, and in front of me!. It is a bit unnerving. I passed by the spot with a big loud tractor not more than 30 mins before, and there had been a lot of activity outside today and that big old cat wasn't scared one bit. I guess he had a taste of good chicken dinner before and he was just gonna sit there and wait for another one no matter how long it took.

I guess my birds won't be free-ranging any time soon.

I am in Volusia County. Anyone else in my area?

welcome-byc.gif
Greetings from Collier County!

I lost one of my Wheaten Marans today. (it HAD to be one of my Wheatens and not one of the mutts didn't it.) Very sad.

Over the last three weeks or so I had lost 2 chickens when I had let them out to free range during the day. One was lame and the other was a mean old mixed breed and I just chalked it up to a hawk and resolved to be more careful. I stopped letting them out except for one hour before dusk when I could be outside with them and watch them till they all went in their coop on their own.
This worked very well since the last attack (last Wed.) and tonight seemed to be no different.
One of the Wheatens, Isabelle, was getting a bit too close to the pond, and I didn't like it because i thought there might be a possibility (very very slim one) that it was a small undetected gator that was doing the killing. (being that there was a distinct lack of evidence)

I started to walk towards the pond, to shoo the chicken back into the main part of the yard and I got about 25 feet from her when she started to run towards me. I couldn't figure out why the sudden change in her behavior and before i could even think, the biggest BOBCAT I had ever seen jumps out of the trees next to the pond and takes two jumps and with front paws extended grabs Isabelle RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. This is with me walking towards the chicken and also with me yelling after I saw what was about to happen.

I would easily say that this was no bobcat but a panther, except for the fact that it had a bobbed tail. This was in daylight, in my backyard where my kids walk and play, and in front of me!. It is a bit unnerving. I passed by the spot with a big loud tractor not more than 30 mins before, and there had been a lot of activity outside today and that big old cat wasn't scared one bit. I guess he had a taste of good chicken dinner before and he was just gonna sit there and wait for another one no matter how long it took.

I guess my birds won't be free-ranging any time soon.

When the Bobcat got our Pheasants, at first I thought it was a panther too. It was huge, then I noticed the short tail. I trapped mine and relocated him so that he will never return here.

How do you relocate a bobcat? I mean, how do you choose a spot where you can be sure he won't turn into a problem for someone else? Are you allowed to just drop him off somewhere? Did you have to get approval from someone?

How do you relocate a bobcat? I mean, how do you choose a spot where you can be sure he won't turn into a problem for someone else? Are you allowed to just drop him off somewhere? Did you have to get approval from someone?

He was on my property killing my birds. He got away the first and second time but not the third. He won't kill anymore birds. Guess...

Woke up to cooler weather this morning
yippiechickie.gif
. Not sure if its because of that, or if its because they (supposedly) sprayed our area, but wasnt attacked by mosquitoes during morning chores.
I'm a happy camper.

Back
Top Bottom