FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I run our incubation at 30% or less and lock down at 75-80% in all models of cabinet bators. Hope this helps. Thats just a base line it gets tweaked some for waterfowl, which requires more than chickens which are far more simple to hatch.

I have one of the old Montgumery Ward Incubators made by Leahy. I don't worry about the humidity for the first 18 days, it usually runs around 40% on it's own. At lock down I fill the water tray and it comes up to 50 or so, bumps itself up when they start to hatch. If I can leave the door closed until the hatch is over, I rarely have a problem. . Great find!! ..stan

I've found that in my HB's the humidity will get really low unless I add water almost daily - even though the latent humidity is above 40% in my house, it will get down into the low 20's in the bator unless I keep an eye on it...so even though we are in FL, you can still get very low humidity since the heat in the bator will dry it out a great deal, even if the latent is much higher...I would think it shouldn't matter what kind of incubator you're using, if you have found a humidity level that works for you, stick with it
smile.png

OK so I must have the most awesome feed store in my town...they have day old chicks in stock year round, and today I went in and found Speckled Sussex, Buff Brahma, Blue and Silver laced Polish, and I previously got a couple of Silver Laced Wyandottes from them, and they have also had Silkies both chicks and juvenile pairs. Never expected to find those breeds in a feed store (though we'll see how the quality turns out), but it definitely does not help my chicken math!!!

I run our incubation at 30% or less and lock down at 75-80% in all models of cabinet bators. Hope this helps. Thats just a base line it gets tweaked some for waterfowl, which requires more than chickens which are far more simple to hatch.
I can't do 75-80% in my house because I drown them. Edit: Thanks for the information though.
I have one of the old Montgumery Ward Incubators made by Leahy. I don't worry about the humidity for the first 18 days, it usually runs around 40% on it's own. At lock down I fill the water tray and it comes up to 50 or so, bumps itself up when they start to hatch. If I can leave the door closed until the hatch is over, I rarely have a problem. . Great find!! ..stan
My homemade ones that I am using now run high 30's - low 40's without water. So the only time I add water is if it by chance gets below 25%. Then I up it at lockdown. I really didn't want to get a cabinet incubator but when I found this one the price was right and in great condition. Only problem is it has a solid door, so I will have to put a window in it. I wouldn't have enough self restraint to not open the door all the time.
big_smile.png

I've found that in my HB's the humidity will get really low unless I add water almost daily - even though the latent humidity is above 40% in my house, it will get down into the low 20's in the bator unless I keep an eye on it...so even though we are in FL, you can still get very low humidity since the heat in the bator will dry it out a great deal, even if the latent is much higher...I would think it shouldn't matter what kind of incubator you're using, if you have found a humidity level that works for you, stick with it
smile.png
Like I said above even when my homemade ones are dry they run high 30's-low 40's. My house stays in the low 50's. I'm going to let it run for a few days and see what the readings are. SO far it is keeping temp perfectly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom