FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

oh yes and Stan is investing in a flock of his own
gig.gif
Hey there!! Wait just a minuite!! No NNs at my place!!!!!!!!! (well, just one, but we don't talk about her) ..........stan

Quote:
Oh, they are relatively harmless. I gotta jump to their defense because I like invertebrates of all kinds and they are just another little creature that is part of the very lively Florida ecosystem. It's a Tussock moth larvae, Orgyia sp. They do appear in big blooms around here but are generally not a problem unless they happen to over colonize a single tree. Otherwise, they are great food for our native birds and a number of other invertebrates. They are very often parasitized by specialized wasps and flies who will naturally help you control their population so you don't need to spray. Some years they are ubiquitous, others they are not as prevalent. I leave them be personally or sometimes even rear them out. The adult moths are kinda cute for little non-descript moths- such fuzzy little feet. Here is a link so you can identify which species you have: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/foltz/eny3541/Tussock/Orgyia.htm Cheers!

Oh, they are relatively harmless. I gotta jump to their defense because I like invertebrates of all kinds and they are just another little creature that is part of the very lively Florida ecosystem. It's a Tussock moth larvae, Orgyia sp. They do appear in big blooms around here but are generally not a problem unless they happen to over colonize a single tree. Otherwise, they are great food for our native birds and a number of other invertebrates. They are very often parasitized by specialized wasps and flies who will naturally help you control their population so you don't need to spray. Some years they are ubiquitous, others they are not as prevalent. I leave them be personally or sometimes even rear them out. The adult moths are kinda cute for little non-descript moths- such fuzzy little feet.Here is a link so you can identify which species you have:http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/foltz/eny3541/Tussock/Orgyia.htmCheers!

Thanks for the info but that "tree" that they colonize is my house- at the peak of the season I could have anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 of em on my house( not including the hole property..) so the wasp an birds don't do to much there is to many of them- we have cocoons from the one that don't hatch out of the cocoons that are 8 years old an it make out house look nasty an people dot want to come over cause there is that many! But at least my chickens will be feed an fat an happy of em buggers

Anyone interested in white D'Uccles?? I have 11 eight week olds, looks to be eight pullets and three roos. I got them in an assortment from Ideal back in January and just don't have any plans to breed whites so these little guys are looking for a new home. I'll take any reasonable offer. I'm in the West Palm area. Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom