FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

After reading some of the recent poo concerns, I got curiouc myself and this page has great pics. I am reassured now,that my chickens have healthy looking poo. I feel like a mom comparing her baby's poo with the other moms at the playground!
LOL
lau.gif

I will be moving to the Wesley Chapel area soon and had joined a facebook group on chickens in that area. Today when I got on my FB the group is no longer on my groups. I am not sure if the group deleted me because I do not live in the area as of yet or what. But I have been reading the posts faithfully and learning. Does anyone know what happened to the group or if I can rejoin what the link to the group is. I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Greetings from the northern end of the Atlantic sea board! I'm located in Maine. My favorite Florida activity is to pick strawberries... always time my visit to my folks in Zephyr Hills to coincide with you pick season! I'm posting my question here because it pertains to your poultry practices. I have a bucket of Spanish moss that I've been storing for probably 20 years! Would it be ok to use it for nesting material? Do you use Spanish moss down there for bedding or nesting material? On the personal side, I started a flock with 5 birds hatched in a home made incubator this spring, followed by 3 Araucana and 3 Dom pullets ordered from local hardware store, provided by Murray McMurray. 3 Doms ended up being roosters, so final count will be 5 pullets after culling all the roosters. Am using electronet fencing, and deep litter in 2 story cattle panel coop, garden is under permanent mulch, chickens are primarily for insect and weed control, and producing fertility, with eggs and their personalities being a nice plus! I built a hoop green house last fall, and my tomatoes, peppers and basil are thriving in the protected environment! Do any of you Florida gardeners use a deep mulch in your gardens? Do you have issues with snakes if you do?? I love my snakes up here, but am not sure how I'd feel about them if any were venomous. Hawks and ? cats have pretty much wiped out my snake population. I miss them!

Hiya fellow Floridians (and FL visitors too *waves*) I have 3 banties that need a new home. The trio of them has bonded and doesn't like to be separated, and I just don't have room for them with 11 full grown cochins and 6 other full grown chickens around. Two roos, one hen. Roos are mixed breed, not sure what, and the hen looks like an OEGB. I can send or post pics if anyone is interested. Free to a good home. They are very sweet, and love to be held and will talk back to you. :)

Greetings from the northern end of the Atlantic sea board! I'm located in Maine. My favorite Florida activity is to pick strawberries... always time my visit to my folks in Zephyr Hills to coincide with you pick season! I'm posting my question here because it pertains to your poultry practices. I have a bucket of Spanish moss that I've been storing for probably 20 years! Would it be ok to use it for nesting material? Do you use Spanish moss down there for bedding or nesting material? On the personal side, I started a flock with 5 birds hatched in a home made incubator this spring, followed by 3 Araucana and 3 Dom pullets ordered from local hardware store, provided by Murray McMurray. 3 Doms ended up being roosters, so final count will be 5 pullets after culling all the roosters. Am using electronet fencing, and deep litter in 2 story cattle panel coop, garden is under permanent mulch, chickens are primarily for insect and weed control, and producing fertility, with eggs and their personalities being a nice plus! I built a hoop green house last fall, and my tomatoes, peppers and basil are thriving in the protected environment! Do any of you Florida gardeners use a deep mulch in your gardens? Do you have issues with snakes if you do?? I love my snakes up here, but am not sure how I'd feel about them if any were venomous. Hawks and ? cats have pretty much wiped out my snake population. I miss them!
Yes, I have used spanish moss.

I believe spanish moss has small mites or insects that live in it. It is reputed that during the civil war
the northern troops thought it would be a good thing to use for pillows and they got infested with the
bugs while sleeping. After this they learned that if you boil the moss then it would kill the bugs
and would be perfect for pillows.

I don't know if this is true but it makes a good story. I would certainly check out the bug thing.

http://erelinessimplyfaith.blogspot.com/2011/06/red-bugs-spanish-moss.html

Last edited:
I will be moving to the Wesley Chapel area soon and had joined a facebook group on chickens in that area. Today when I got on my FB the group is no longer on my groups. I am not sure if the group deleted me because I do not live in the area as of yet or what. But I have been reading the posts faithfully and learning. Does anyone know what happened to the group or if I can rejoin what the link to the group is. I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

The admin of the group was trying to clean up the spammers and deleted a bunch of people and then realized she couldn't add them back so she made another group. The new group is called "Pasco County Poultry Sales"

Kati deleted it. It's not personal. There is also this group, newly formed, you may be interested in: https://www.facebook.com/groups/330068470457782/

Also, I am in Wesley Chapel, welcome!

I believe spanish moss has small mites or insects that live in it. It is reputed that during the civil war
the northern troops thought it would be a good thing to use for pillows and they got infested with the
bugs while sleeping. After this they learned that if you boil the moss then it would kill the bugs
and would be perfect for pillows.

I don't know if this is true but it makes a good story. I would certainly check out the bug thing.

http://erelinessimplyfaith.blogspot.com/2011/06/red-bugs-spanish-moss.html

I put some spanish moss under a microscope looking for bugs but didn't find any. I did sprinkle some food grade Diatomaceous earth in each nest box. Never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom