FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

It seems like it may be a humidity problem. Many people hatch at 65%. I wouldn't worry about the humidity when you open the door. Just remember when a broody hatches chicks she usually gets off of the nest for up to 30 minutes daily to eat, drink and poop. I incubate in a cabinet incubator too but I do have vent holes on the back and since your incubator is really meant for reptiles could you drill any holes in it for air circulation?

The momentary drop in humidity takes about two mins to get back up.  That's why I raised it to 84% so it dropped down to 65% when I opened the door, hoping I didn't shrink wrap the chicks.

Also, yeah , I've been using the egg turner.  I have been taking the eggs out on day 18 and laying them on their side.  I thought this was the rule.  I was told to never hatch eggs in the turner. Was I misinformed?

Also one more thing,  I don't think it's the cause of my pipping chicks dying, but since you're a fellow Reptipro user i thought I'd mention it. 

- My Reptipro has a 4 degree fluctuation in temperature on it's readout.  I set it for 102,  it cools to 99 before it comes on,  then it heats to 103 before it shuts off. The actual temp at the bottom of the incubator is 100 with the digital control set at 102, however it fluctuates to 99  by the time the incubator's digital readout gets down to 99.   So I'm not having a good constant temp according to my calibrated thermometer.   Sometimes the change in temp (from 99 to 100 at the bottom of the incubator) takes two or more minutes before it goes back up.
Is this normal?

Thank you so much for your help!

Yes taking them out of the turner is what probably killed them. You never want to change the position of the egg. Just turn off the turner so they don't get caught in it, OR you could get an egg carton and put them in it and just put them in the bottom of the bator. But you want them upright to hatch since the turner holds them upright.

The temp is the same in mine. The temp is set at 102 and reads 99 inside, so that's what I keep it at. When you open the door and then close it, the bator works to bring the temp back up, so that's why the outside thermometer reads 102-103 temporarily, don't worry about that its just because its heating up to compensate for lost heat. Just keep an eye on the thermometer inside, if it ever reads high then you have an issue.

What you are describing as far as temps go is exactly what mine does :)

I wouldn't worry about the momentary drop in humidity. But if it raised to 84 then dropped back to 65 then that's fine. As long as the humidity that's holding isn't above 70-75 you should be okay.

But yes I would say laying the eggs down is what killed them so close to hatch, not the momentary spike in humidity.

Yes taking them out of the turner is what probably killed them. You never want to change the position of the egg. Just turn off the turner so they don't get caught in it, OR you could get an egg carton and put them in it and just put them in the bottom of the bator. But you want them upright to hatch since the turner holds them upright.

The temp is the same in mine. The temp is set at 102 and reads 99 inside, so that's what I keep it at. When you open the door and then close it, the bator works to bring the temp back up, so that's why the outside thermometer reads 102-103 temporarily, don't worry about that its just because its heating up to compensate for lost heat. Just keep an eye on the thermometer inside, if it ever reads high then you have an issue.

What you are describing as far as temps go is exactly what mine does
smile.png

I wouldn't worry about the momentary drop in humidity. But if it raised to 84 then dropped back to 65 then that's fine. As long as the humidity that's holding isn't above 70-75 you should be okay.

But yes I would say laying the eggs down is what killed them so close to hatch, not the momentary spike in humidity.

Ahh! leave them in the turner! - Got it. (makes for zero mobility when they hatch though) Guess I'll move them to the brooder as soon as they are out of the egg.
Also I think you misunderstood me about the temperature drop. It's not when I open the door. It is how the unit runs. It is set for 102 and heats up to 103. it then doesn't start to reheat until it drops to 99. Then it heats back up to 103 again. It's a 4 degree difference. The result being my eggs at the bottom of the unit fluctuate from 99 to 100 during the cycle. The change in temp at the bottom of the incubator lasts for about 2 mins.
Does that make sense?

Also, have you tried widening the holes on the side of the door frame? I have read that some tried this to avoid the opening of the door three times a day.

Thanks for all the help! The rules that apply to regular incubators don't really help that much in this case.

Ahh!   leave them in the turner!   - Got it.  (makes for zero mobility when they hatch though)  Guess I'll move them to the brooder as soon as they are out of the egg.
Also I think you misunderstood me about the temperature drop.   It's not when I open the door.  It is how the unit runs.  It is set for 102 and heats up to 103.  it then doesn't start to reheat until it drops to 99.  Then it heats back up to 103 again.  It's a  4 degree difference.  The result being my eggs at the bottom of the unit fluctuate from 99 to 100 during the cycle.  The change in temp at the bottom of the incubator lasts for about 2 mins.
Does that make sense?  

Also, have you tried widening the holes on the side of the door frame?  I have read that some tried this to avoid the opening of the door three times a day.

Thanks for all the help!  The rules that apply to regular incubators don't really help that much in this case.

Yeah I know that's why I hate the turner. I actually have a batch of the eggs in the turner for the first time, I think I will use an egg carton come hatch time because of the mobility issue. I always move my chicks to the brooder right away. No issues :)

Okay on the temp thing, I'm trying to understand but Im a bit confused HA. The actual temp fluctuating between 99-100 isn't an issue.

When you refer to it reaching 103 is that the units external reading or is that a thermometer that you've put in the bators reading?
For example, my units thermometer reads:103 BUT my thermometer inside doesn't go above 100 so I don't worry about it.

I'm pretty sure my incubator does what yours is doing (I just don't pay attention to it).

I have an accurite thermometer/humidity gauge that measures high/low. So I check it every morning and night to make sure it's not fluctuating too high, occasionally at night it's gotten down to 95 but its never gone above 100. I don't even pay attention to the outside thermometer gauge on the actual bator.

Lol hope we aren't just confusing each other.

MAIN POINT: Im pretty sure your bator does what mine does, and I get great hatches so I don't think it's anything to worry about :)

Oh and on the widening thing, no I haven't tried that (since I open the bator to hand rotate anyways). On your next batch, go ahead and open it 3 times a day like you did before. It should be just fine, or if you want to widen the holes you probably can but I would be hesitant to do so since it almost seems to vacuum seal when you close it.

Okay on the temp thing, I'm trying to understand but Im a bit confused HA. The actual temp fluctuating between 99-100 isn't an issue.

When you refer to it reaching 103 is that the units external reading or is that a thermometer that you've put in the bators reading?
For example, my units thermometer reads:103 BUT my thermometer inside doesn't go above 100 so I don't worry about it.

The 99 to 103 is the unit's reading when it is set for 102.
The temp at the bottom fluctuates (with a calibrated thermometer) between 99 and 100 , staying at 100 mostly but for about two mins at 99 during the cycle.

I'm gonna leave them in the turner next time. Maybe that will make a difference!

The 99 to 103 is the unit's reading when it is set for 102.  

The temp at the bottom fluctuates (with a calibrated thermometer) between 99 and 100 , staying at 100 mostly but for about two mins at 99 during the cycle.

I'm gonna leave them in the turner next time.   Maybe that will make a difference!

Ok yeah that's the same that my bator does. Good luck with your next hatch!

Hi, my name is Gonzo4Chicks,and I have an addiction. A coworker gave me my first taste of PA (poultry addiction) about 9 months ago when she started her own flock. Got our first 12 (aka the Dirty Dozen) just over a week ago and now the entire household is hooked.

I am learning what "Chicken Math" is, and I keep wondering what the feed store will have and hope that my mother-in-law might bring home something new when going for hay.

Seriously, I've learned a lot lurking here for the past few months and look forward to reading and sharing in the future.

I live in New Smyrna Beach :)
Nice to meet you! I'm not far from you, in Mims, but I work at Bert Fish. =)

Back
Top Bottom