FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Follow up with two really bad days for my chickens. One drowned in the pool yesterday, and this morning after finding that hubby had failed to close them up for the night, one was missing and another had a big bald area on her back. We chased a predator out of the yard last night after my young daughter was awakened by a ruckus outside her window.

Came home from work this afternoon and noticed feathers in the pool and expected the worst, but no chicken. Then noticed more feathers in the yard being blown about and a few clumps. Ran to the coop and there was the chicken that had been missing this am! took photos of the damage .
So I cleaned with soapy water and peroxide, sprayed with bacitracin and spread silvadene cream on it. I put a telfa pad over it and it is held in place with elastic wrap. I put a good layer of straw in the cat carrier and she is resting in there with a towel over it. The other chicken's back had a palm sized open wound and I cleaned it the same and applied the antibiotic cream but no dressing. I put her back in a nesting box full of hay and closed up the coop.

DH picking up a trap tonight for the coon ( found prints in the freshly tilled garden area).

Anybody have any further suggestions?

Do you know of anyone in the St Augustine area that breeds Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds? I may want to hatch them myself. Still trying to convince husband this is a good idea. I work so he thinks he'll be the one to take of them. He says he will build the coop for me.

Theres a place called Eight Acres Farm near Gainesville. She has a bunch of chicks. Eightacresfarm.weebly.com

Hey all. Tampon here.
Wondering if there are any other people in the Tampa area that wouldn't mind giving a newbie some pointers on a couple questions that may come up in the next couple weeks as I get things in gear with the coop building and initial acquisition of some chicks!

Follow up with two really bad days for my chickens. One drowned in the pool yesterday, and this morning after finding that hubby had failed to close them up for the night, one was missing and another had a big bald area on her back. We chased a predator out of the yard last night after my young daughter was awakened by a ruckus outside her window.

Came home from work this afternoon and noticed feathers in the pool and expected the worst, but no chicken. Then noticed more feathers in the yard being blown about and a few clumps. Ran to the coop and there was the chicken that had been missing this am! took photos of the damage .
So I cleaned with soapy water and peroxide, sprayed with bacitracin and spread silvadene cream on it. I put a telfa pad over it and it is held in place with elastic wrap. I put a good layer of straw in the cat carrier and she is resting in there with a towel over it. The other chicken's back had a palm sized open wound and I cleaned it the same and applied the antibiotic cream but no dressing. I put her back in a nesting box full of hay and closed up the coop.

DH picking up a trap tonight for the coon ( found prints in the freshly tilled garden area).

Anybody have any further suggestions?

dont know but it might make you feel better to know that the dogs got one of my SBELS.. silly girl flew out a hole in the top of the coop, who knew she could get that high... I saw her missing and after looking for a while i found her laying in the grass and i really thought she was dead.. but when i went to pick her up she moved. She had practically no skin left on her neck at all, but otherwise no apparent injuries. I put her in a nice box and tried to make her comfortabe figuring she wouldn't make it. in about 18 hours i found her wandering around the patio, then within a week she was really up and about, in 2 weeks back in the pen (with the hole fixed) in 2 months she is now laying again like nothing ever happened. most phenomenal recovery i have seen, and I didnt' do anything except make her comfortable to die in peace...

Hey all. Tampon here.
Wondering if there are any other people in the Tampa area that wouldn't mind giving a newbie some pointers on a couple questions that may come up in the next couple weeks as I get things in gear with the coop building and initial acquisition of some chicks!
Hey neighbor! I'm in Plant City, welcome!

Follow up with two really bad days for my chickens. One drowned in the pool yesterday, and this morning after finding that hubby had failed to close them up for the night, one was missing and another had a big bald area on her back. We chased a predator out of the yard last night after my young daughter was awakened by a ruckus outside her window. Came home from work this afternoon and noticed feathers in the pool and expected the worst, but no chicken. Then noticed more feathers in the yard being blown about and a few clumps. Ran to the coop and there was the chicken that had been missing this am! took photos of the damage . So I cleaned with soapy water and peroxide, sprayed with bacitracin and spread silvadene cream on it. I put a telfa pad over it and it is held in place with elastic wrap. I put a good layer of straw in the cat carrier and she is resting in there with a towel over it. The other chicken's back had a palm sized open wound and I cleaned it the same and applied the antibiotic cream but no dressing. I put her back in a nesting box full of hay and closed up the coop. DH picking up a trap tonight for the coon ( found prints in the freshly tilled garden area). Anybody have any further suggestions?
So sorry for such a tough day! I'm pulling for her. Never use peroxide on any animal or person. It is not beneficial. http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/12/vreeman.carroll.medical.myths/ Keep her comfortable and please keep us posted.

dont know but it might make you feel better to know that the dogs got one of my SBELS.. silly girl flew out a hole in the top of the coop, who knew she could get that high... I saw her missing and after looking for a while i found her laying in the grass and i really thought she was dead.. but when i went to pick her up she moved. She had practically no skin left on her neck at all, but otherwise no apparent injuries. I put her in a nice box and tried to make her comfortabe figuring she wouldn't make it. in about 18 hours i found her wandering around the patio, then within a week she was really up and about, in 2 weeks back in the pen (with the hole fixed) in 2 months she is now laying again like nothing ever happened. most phenomenal recovery i have seen, and I didnt' do anything except make her comfortable to die in peace...

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am a human healthcare professional so I am doing wound care and hoping rest revitalizes. It is tempting, but I am going to let this chicken rest undisturbed until the am and go from there.

But on a lighter note I now know that we will not be processing any chickens that quit laying anytime soon. Due to bad timing, dinner was roasted chicken and no one in the family was able to eat a bite.
tongue.png

Thank you for your support, Wedensday. I am much sadder than I would have expected about the past two days and your support really does help.
love.gif

I wonder if there are any swaps in bartow fl area. I have a few chickens i want to sell or trade like a bantam cochin young roo(red columbian from millie project) and maybe 1 or 2bearded silkie juviniles

Back
Top Bottom