FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Put a honey bun in the trap and you'll definitely catch your coon. They love honey buns or anything sweet. And yes, please shoot it if you're going to get rid of it. Drowning it would be horrible!

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm not far from you. Just up the road in Gilchrist County.

started coop construction and started chicks in a secure shed while they were in the brooder. My coop is done (except for my DW's pastel trim painting) and the chicks are still growing in the brooder. Don't wait too long. If you are starting from chicks, you might want to think about setting up a brooder.

Thanks for all the ideas about disposing of my predator.

We baited the trap with the leftover rotissure chicken my family now will not eat. The trap was tripped and most of the chicken gone. Second night we had left the trap closed and not emptied the leftover bait out and something rolled the whole trap around in an unsuccessful attempt to get at the bait. Will try again tonight. My husband plans to use a .22 on the predator. We know he will return if he is not relocated a great distance, and even then I may be dropping another predator with a taste for chicken near somebody else's coops. Hubby is also leery of opening the trap to let it go. We may have to sit up and peg it one night as it goes for the bait as gatorshark 75 says.

Injury update: Violet Blaze (the chicken with the skinned back) is apparently her normal self. She is out to pasture with the other healthy chicken and we couldn't catch her for a wound check this am.

Nugget is the neck injury I had posted. More active today. Eating mashed layer pellets with water and corn syrup on her own, drinking water out of a dish on her own. She is still in the coop alone during the day and plan to keep her in the carrier at night. No signs of wound infection
fl.gif
Thanks for the update! Hope they recover well and you are sporting a coonskin cap soon.
ya.gif

I'm in Micanopy! We haven't gotten our flock yet, due to the lack of a coop, but we are getting ready for them!

welcome-byc.gif
From NE FLorida
Thanks for the update! Hope they recover well and you are sporting a coonskin cap soon.
ya.gif
Agreed! I am even worried about the safety of the coop until we get rid of this one. Heard a neighbor lost a flock of 9 last year to a coon.

if you continue to have the issue and cant catch the coon in a trap, my method of last resort involves a heavy block of wood at least 6"x6" drill a 1 1/2 inch hole a bit over half of the way through the block. Drive 6-8 nails at about a 10-15 degree angle in a circle around the hole you just drilled so the the points face into the hole making about a 1inch circle. Anchor, Bait with a small hard ball (just smaller or equal to the size of the hole) coated with honey or peanut butter and wait for the racket. Go outside 1 shot and it and you are out of your misery.

The idea is to allow the raccoon to reach into the hole for the juicy treat, they grab it and when their paw balls into a fist they cant pull it past the nails without getting jabbed. The WILL NOT let go of the ball. you have them stationary where you can shoot them.

Back
Top Bottom