FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

There's a chicken swap today at Tractor Supply in Brooksville. We're here with lots of chickens. There's one other couple here with chickens, too. So far there hasn't been one customer! They didn't advertise so no one knows about it.
I was wondering if there was one at that location.

Perhaps speak to the store manager and get them to advertise and get something going. It would be nice to not have to travel for over an hour to get to some of these swap meets.

Quote:
I wasn't too successful at getting the Dunnellon TSC store or the Crystal River Mall to advertise the swaps. I made small flyers for the swaps and took them to the Dunnellon TSC store and to Rural King in the Crystal River Mall to hand out to customers. Joan who works at the Dunnellon TSC has been the most helpful. A couple of times she got coupons to hand out to the swap vendors and customers. Good luck...

The other day went through the broken hearted stage when my barely out of diapers... erm brooders Polish Tophat was killed by my dog. Now it is on to seeing the other kids ..erm chickens grow up and become Mommies without Phoenix around to be a comic. I wish I had the money to replace Phoenix, for a chicken I was not expecting when I bought them... that sure was one lovable little girl/guy... never did figure it's sex out...LOL...R.I.P. Phoenix

But now onto the fun stuff... I made the chickens some mashed mixed beans, cooked rice and a side of oatmeal with apple oat greek yogurt mixed in... I sometimes think my babies are spoiled... I know cooked rice is ok to give, and I do not use the beans much except to make a small " binder" puree to add in, I also blend in the salad greens... they don't like large pieces but will gobble up a homemade "slaw" of lettuces...lol.... they love it.

So do any of you give unusual goodies to your chickens?

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

My babies are only 3 weeks old. So their favorite treat is boiled egg yolk, starter feed, and Gatorade mixed into a mash with warm water.Oh and they eat it off of my fingers. LOL

Last edited:
The other day went through the broken hearted stage when my barely out of diapers... erm brooders Polish Tophat was killed by my dog. Now it is on to seeing the other kids ..erm chickens grow up and become Mommies without Phoenix around to be a comic. I wish I had the money to replace Phoenix, for a chicken I was not expecting when I bought them... that sure was one lovable little girl/guy... never did figure it's sex out...LOL...R.I.P. Phoenix

But now onto the fun stuff... I made the chickens some mashed mixed beans, cooked rice and a side of oatmeal with apple oat greek yogurt mixed in... I sometimes think my babies are spoiled... I know cooked rice is ok to give, and I do not use the beans much except to make a small " binder" puree to add in, I also blend in the salad greens... they don't like large pieces but will gobble up a homemade "slaw" of lettuces...lol.... they love it.

Brynda

They get stuff from out of the gardens. Nothing unusual. They get some grain and seed mixture for an evening treat when I collect the eggs.

Brynda
I don't know if it is really unusual but mine get beans and rice leftovers, fully flavored with little salt and some ham chunks. when I serve this to them I always include a side of tomatoes and/or fruit of some kind. They are particularly fond of papaya and they like their cooked oatmeal with little brown sugar and applesauce.

Mine don't get treats every day except for some scratch when they free range. It is usually a weekly process and they seem to know when it is Saturday morning. LOL

Currently I have over 300 birds so it's hard to give them table scraps and such. I have 10 coops and pens. Who should I give stuff to today? If the birds in one coop and pen see the birds in another coop and pen getting treats, they want some too so I usually give them mostly grains and seeds for treats.

I don't know if it is really unusual but mine get beans and rice leftovers, fully flavored with little salt and some ham chunks. when I serve this to them I always include a side of tomatoes and/or fruit of some kind. They are particularly fond of papaya and they like their cooked oatmeal with little brown sugar and applesauce.

Mine don't get treats every day except for some scratch when they free range. It is usually a weekly process and they seem to know when it is Saturday morning. LOL

Laughs, I think I now need to pick a certain day for them to get treats... right now it is a matter of finding out what they like

Laughs, I think I now need to pick a certain day for them to get treats... right now it is a matter of finding out what they like
I know, right?? I have had chickens for only a year now and have seen all the posts about what 'they go crazy' for. I was like...hmmmm....mine don't like anything!

Now....they will eat almost everything and this is great as that is when we clean the fridge for leftovers! If not a lot for the 4 pens of birds (only 42 birds as of now) I make them oatmeal or pancakes with syrup or grits with a little milk. They get fodder on Wednesdays. ( I start it on Saturdays)

I go out every morning to let them out into their runs and then go sit on the pool deck and watch them for a short while before I go to work. On Saturday mornings, I put their treat bowls on the table before I go let them out. I sit down to drink my coffee and I am sure they can see the bowls from their pens. Maybe that is how they know it is Saturday? LOL

Currently I have over 300 birds so it's hard to give them table scraps and such. I have 10 coops and pens. Who should I give stuff to today? If the birds in one coop and pen see the birds in another coop and pen getting treats, they want some too so I usually give them mostly grains and seeds for treats.
As nice as you are and well known in our communities, have you tried the grocery stores or farmers markets for the 'throw away' foods they usually are going to trash? I am in negotiations with my local Publix manager to get on the list for at least 1 day a week. They clean their shelves daily included outdated canned beans, vegetables, rice mixes, cornmeal, oatmeals, kids cereals, etc. Some not so healthy food for daily scrapping but treats none the less. Mine love plain outdated Cheerios! (hold the milk please)

Back
Top Bottom