FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

If you catch it and going to release it, go further than down the road or it will be back. My coops and pens are very critter proof but recently I had seen tracks down by my barn and knew there was one around. I used the live trap because they are night time predators. I catch them and permanently relocate them. In the past I have lost birds to possums. Even though I am in a rural area I don't want to alarm the neighbors either even though they don't live very close they can still hear a gun shot and in the wee hours of the morning. People around here have guns and mostly on the weekends we hear them shooting.

Cmom, if that possom gets in the trap and I take it for a ride, it won't be able to return. lol Like you, most everyone around me has guns. It's better to take the offender away and dispatch him in the woods elsewhere. I was referencing an earlier response about taking it down the road. I can't contribute the possom to the food chain right here in the subdivision. I can go a short ways down the road and it's wooded enough that I can leave it there and let nature take care of it. Being the hard freezes we've been having, I'm sure there are animals that would appreciate a free, easy meal.

Shhhh.... trap and release isn't exactly legal in Florida.
bun.gif

http://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/assistnuisance-wildlife/faqs/#what

Where are u at? Im in zephyrhills about forty five minutes from tampa we got to mid thirties last night i think , as long as the chickens have all their feathers and they can get out of the wind and are dry they should be fine

Carrabelle...in the Panhandle. So far so good. I don't worry about the others, but this guy is all alone and the fact that he's a frizzle/sizzle. We had birds in NH and it was freezing all the time during winter there. Had no frizzles though.

I have frizzle top hat , polish , silver laced and golden lace wyandottes , seramas, la fluers,ameracaunas, just got buff orphaningtons , golden sexlinks, and rhode island reds lol have rabbits , quails and two ducks lol

So jealous!!
jumpy.gif

Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

Carrabelle...in the Panhandle. So far so good. I don't worry about the others, but this guy is all alone and the fact that he's a frizzle/sizzle. We had birds in NH and it was freezing all the time during winter there. Had no frizzles though.

So jealous!!
jumpy.gif

Thank you!
thumbsup.gif
lol hey if you want eggs or hatchlings we can figure out how to get them to ya

Last edited:
lol hey if you want eggs or hatchlings we can figure out how to get them to ya

I may just take you up on that. Thanks! I have some French Black Copper Maran eggs in the bator right now. They are the first ones I've had mailed. Fingers crossed.
fl.gif
(I think that's fingers crossed?? lol)

Quote:
I did talk to our local Wildlife and Fish agency and told them of a problem I was having with skunks. A friend of mine was at our local donut shop one morning and heard that someone was catching and releasing skunks in our area. The place the skunks were being dropped off was about a mile down our road. (I found this out after the fact). One evening I went out to my grow-out coop to check it and to close the pop door. When I got over to the coop there was a skunk at the gate attempting to dig under it and the pop door was partially closed and some of the youngsters were still outside and couldn't get in. I attempted to scare the skunk off but it looked at me like I was crazy and stomped it's feet like it was trying to scare me off. I did go into the house and got my gun. The next day I met with the officer and he told me I could shoot the skunk that they weren't endangered. I put a live trap out and for several nights caught skunks. One night I even got 2 skunks in a live trap. I caught 13 skunks.

"Native nuisance wildlife may be released off the capture site if the release site is a minimum of 40 contiguous acres, located in the same county as the capture site, and the person releasing the nuisance wildlife has in their possession written permission from the landowner of the release site allowing release on their property. Nuisance wildlife may not be released on federal, state, county, local or private lands without written permission of the landowner."

I'm sure whoever caught and released the skunks in my are didn't have permission. Most of the properties in my area a 5 and 10 acre parcels with a few larger and smaller ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckznDuckz

Hello. Carrabelle, FL here. Anyone close by?

HI from me and mine!
I'm in South Tampa here. Got 2 hens. Our light sussex Jeanie started laying this weekend...got our 2nd egg this morning. Our speckled sussex Tippy's still...thinking about it. Two babies in the brooder, both R.I.R.s
Got cold here too, grass was froze in a few spots and I had on enough to look like an Inuit!

I may just take you up on that.  Thanks!  I have some French Black Copper Maran eggs in the bator right now.  They are the first ones I've had mailed.  Fingers crossed.  :fl  (I think that's fingers crossed?? lol)

Awesome , i got frizzle polish and frizzle silver lace Wyandottes and two conturnix quail in the bator right now , im getting ready to set up my lock down incubator today to get it ready for friday lol :fl for the both of us lol

Carrabelle...in the Panhandle.  So far so good.  I don't worry about the others, but this guy is all alone and the fact that he's a frizzle/sizzle.  We had birds in NH and it was freezing all the time during winter there.  Had no frizzles though.

So jealous!!  :jumpy

Thank you! :thumbsup  

I appreciate those who organized this list and all it's members! Hey Y'all!

Back
Top Bottom