FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Then. Do. Not. Flood.
wink.png
gig.gif

Lost a baby chick. It had started to peck out of the egg I saw it last night when feeding horses. Made sure Momma was not ignoring nest and/or baby chick that was hatched on Monday, and I went to bed.

Woke up this morning, baby was dead inside egg with not much more pecked out than when I left it.

Did I do wrong? Should I break the egg open when they start to peck it open? Should I move last three eggs to an "incubator"? I do not have an incubator tell me how to make one if I should . . . Heart is bleeding. So sad. So sad.
hit.gif
It was a perfect little chick only . . .

Don't beat yourself up. I have raised thousands of birds and most are ok but a few don't make it. It probably just wasn't meant to be. That may sound harsh but it is a fact. A young friend of ours passed away recently at 36 years old leaving his wife and 3 kids. He went to bed one night and just didn't wake up the next morning. That is life. You can hatch in about anything as long as you can keep the temperature and humidity pretty close. A friend of mine hatched chicks out in a bowl with a light bulb for heat. Good luck, have fun and stay strong...

Chickrunfun, that's insane!! I can only imagine that experience was probably one of the farthest you could have from fun.
Ya know, it was a little...hard. Lived like that for about 8 days but what made me start being a preparer ( is that a word? if not I'm claiming it) was that parts of El Paso that was wrecked. 2,,,maybe 300 homes were done in. People lost a lot more than my conveniences that I lost. Can't imagine. That's the point, though...I DON'T want to.
Does anyone else have hens that will change nest boxes from week to week? I have EE that lays green eggs and keeps the same nest box, but the other hens are all over the place. I have to check all the nest boxes everyday, to make sure they didn't change their mind and put in to a new box. I put clean hay in the boxes often. I just don't understand them at all. I have Easter Egger, Cuckoo Marans, Ameraucanas and Buff Orpingtons.
Think they do that to change things up on us...and themselves. Jeanie does that. Lay here, lay there...depends on how she feels.

Don't beat yourself up. I have raised thousands of birds and most are ok but a few don't make it. It probably just wasn't meant to be. That may sound harsh but it is a fact. A young friend of ours passed away recently at 36 years old leaving his wife and 3 kids. He went to bed one night and just didn't wake up the next morning. That is life. You can hatch in about anything as long as you can keep the temperature and humidity pretty close. A friend of mine hatched chicks out in a bowl with a light bulb for heat. Good luck, have fun and stay strong...
A catastrophe. No words other than sorrow for your loss and his family's loss.

@Wyandotte Blue

We've lost our share of pullets in two seperate dog attacks from my Jack Russell. I never would have thought the whole family would have been in tears, but we were. Time will heal the sorrow. Hope you find strength to try again.

@Wyandotte Blue

We've lost our share of pullets in two seperate dog attacks from my Jack Russell. I never would have thought the whole family would have been in tears, but we were. Time will heal the sorrow. Hope you find strength to try again.
I remember when that happened. : ( Yes, Martha is sitting on 3 more eggs with one hatched and running around. I am thinking since they are not all hatching at the same time, she is not sitting enough. Be that as it may I am going to let nature take its course and will learn to be a good chicken keeper eventually, I hope.

Lost a baby chick. It had started to peck out of the egg I saw it last night when feeding horses. Made sure Momma was not ignoring nest and/or baby chick that was hatched on Monday, and I went to bed.

Woke up this morning, baby was dead inside egg with not much more pecked out than when I left it.

Did I do wrong? Should I break the egg open when they start to peck it open? Should I move last three eggs to an "incubator"? I do not have an incubator tell me how to make one if I should . . . Heart is bleeding. So sad. So sad.
hit.gif
It was a perfect little chick only . . .
I'm so sorry, Wyandotte Blue! My heart is grieving with you. Though, don't let this discourage you. As unfortunate as it is, recognize this as a good learning experience for you and Martha. For her to have hatched out even just one baby on her first try is a success worth celebrating. I hope you feel better soon!

I have a quick question for y'all. My sister and I are getting breeder quality Barred Plymouth Rock chickens this weekend. They were originally priced at $25 for the hens and $15 for the rooster, but the lady we are buying them from said she would sell the hens to us for $22 instead since we are buying all six of them. They are a year and five months old, and this is the same person we bought our Black Australorps from, so I know they're friendly and healthy. I'd say this is a good deal, but I'd like to be sure. What do y'all think?

No problem! Let me know how it works for you if you decide to use it. And I forgot to mention earlier that you don't need to worry about the color. I always think the nests look so funny with a random forest green or purple egg inside. There's even a blue one with a Superman symbol on it and they don't seem to care, lol.
Superman egg, you got to love that! I think, I will just let them do what they want. I have only had one cracked egg so far.

I have a quick question for y'all. My sister and I are getting breeder quality Barred Plymouth Rock chickens this weekend. They were originally priced at $25 for the hens and $15 for the rooster, but the lady we are buying them from said she would sell the hens to us for $22 instead since we are buying all six of them. They are a year and five months old, and this is the same person we bought our Black Australorps from, so I know they're friendly and healthy. I'd say this is a good deal, but I'd like to be sure. What do y'all think?

Just curious, do you know what line they are from?

Back
Top Bottom