FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

So no solid flooring, just a wire mesh floor for the coop? That is the part that I really need advice on. I'm struggling with foundation and floor.

I built mine like you described. I put down blocks, leveled them, the built a floor joist system just like a house except I used treated wood. I put down plywood subfloor (others use chip board) then I glued linoleum to that. Then i covered it all with pine chips that get cleaned out once a month or so. I have 12 birds and they're fine with it. Little buggers scratched and pecked one corner out but I glued it back down and keep it covered with chips.

If you haven't found it yet, there is a really good "build your chicken coop" thread on here.

Good luck and have fun. (I find carpentry and furniture building cathartic).

Thanks. I'm going to lay and level the blocks this weekend and get the project started. I've been trying to decide if I should go with sand or pine chips. Sand seems easier to clean more often but the pone chips I could use as fertilizer for my wife's garden.

(Hope this is okay!)

Hope to see some peeps out at Middleburg for the monthly swap, now at a new location. I know myself and other will have chickens, guineas, rabbits and much more! :)

I guess as far as advice would be rookie mistakes to steer clear of/
We arent moving until mid January and we still need to make our coup-
We have a 14x14 run in that I plan on turning half of it into the coup and having a run coming off of it.
Hoping to have chicks by mid February-
Opingtons were recommended- but I would like a mixed flock- thinking of starting with no more than 3-5 as we are newbies.

I've found the easiest hens for this area, and hardiest and good egg producers to be the Rhode Island Reds.  I don't know too much about Opingtons.  If you look over the various breeds in the listings on backyardchickens.com, you can read about and decide for yourself.  I haven't seen a lot of opingtons in the area.  You can get a good feel for what is common in the are by looking at www.hollowayschickencoops.com.  Let me know if I can be of any help.  I'm no expert (except for this area of FL since I lived in Lakeland and Tampa my whole life!), but I can certainly share what I've learned either from this website, books or trial and error!  Good luck!

Karen

love my buff Orpington Henny! She is sweet and nosey and let's me scoop her up for a cuddle and doesn't even kick or swirm
2764.png

There's a lady in Lutz named Bobbi Porto who has a website called indigoegg.com- she has the most beautiful huge Orpington chickens ever! She also breeds silkies who have fabulous sweet dispositions as well. You should check her out

Hello all. I'm in central Florida near lakeland. I was wondering if there was anyone around with silver sebright hens? Thank you

I have a pair of golden laced seabrights I got from Central Florida Poultry Breeders show- I know the guy also had silver, it's held in Inverness in the fall and again in Spring (March)
this is Elvis, my little Rooster

Anyone going to Barberville Farm Swap the next time? I have a couple of GORGEOUS cockerels I need to sell. 1 English Crele Orpington, 1 English Jubilee Orpington, & 2 English Silver Laced Orpingtons-all cockerels, all very nice-not culls, just have too many boys. Please PM me for questions. Thanks!!

Hello all. I'm in central Florida near lakeland. I was wondering if there was anyone around with silver sebright hens? Thank you

I have a pair of golden laced seabrights I got from Central Florida Poultry Breeders show- I know the guy also had silver, it's held in Inverness in the fall and again in Spring (March)
this is Elvis, my little Rooster

Thanks for the info. I recently found 4 chicks. Hopefully a couple are hens. Here's my rooster, Alf
f8081ad36e71168ce9ffdb88e6871659.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom