FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Good morning from very cold South Florida.

Boy is it cold out there. It feels like 32F with the windshield. How cold is too cold for spoiled Fl chickens. I am concerned for the drastic temperature change. I put tarp around their coop last night to keep them a bit warm. Gave them BOSS, meal worms, flax seed and scratch mix this AM. What else can I do for them?Are they going to be ok? They free range during the day so they only go in the coop to eat, drink water, lay eggs and sleep.
They'll be just fine. What's more concerning is what you're feeding them. Stick with layer feed.

Happy Saturday everyone. I have a beautiful Jubilee Orpington cockerel that was supposed to be a female. I made sure to pay extra to get a female Jubilee Orpington from a reputable Hatchery and it turned out to be a nice not aggressive so far Cockerel. He was hatched 10/07/19 and vaccinated for Marek. I cannot have roosters and also him being so big I’m afraid that he would hurt the pullets/hens as they are all much smaller than him. If anyone in South Florida is interested in a beautiful Jubilee Orpington please let me know. He was purchased from Meyers Hatchery.
P.S. He is free to the only condition is I want him to go to a no kill place and enjoy his life with lots of girls to protect. He doesn’t crow yet.

Attachments

• 72D1E3B6-99EA-4C96-BC5C-935E11EAC3D5.jpeg
    72D1E3B6-99EA-4C96-BC5C-935E11EAC3D5.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 6
  • EE3FF021-76D4-4C67-A6A2-11E2BF30DDC2.jpeg
    EE3FF021-76D4-4C67-A6A2-11E2BF30DDC2.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 6
  • B479EDB1-D914-4872-A070-2E1EECC2D4BF.jpeg
    B479EDB1-D914-4872-A070-2E1EECC2D4BF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • FEFF4802-5EC1-4114-AB4D-4B9355992A87.jpeg
    FEFF4802-5EC1-4114-AB4D-4B9355992A87.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hiyo, I posted this in the rehoming section but I'll post it here as well for us Floridians. We are looking to rehome our 3 hens and 1 rooster that are about 10 months old. 2 hens are wyandotte, 1 is golden sex link and the rooster is wyandotte. Free to a good home. I can also throw in the watering buckets and feeder I made for them. We love them but they don't get along with our little birds and we will be moving to Montana later this year so we need to start downsizing anyway. The hens are good layers.

Here is the original thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...r-need-new-home-near-central-florida.1349036/

Happy Saturday everyone. I have a beautiful Jubilee Orpington cockerel that was supposed to be a female. I made sure to pay extra to get a female Jubilee Orpington from a reputable Hatchery and it turned out to be a nice not aggressive so far Cockerel. He was hatched 10/07/19 and vaccinated for Marek. I cannot have roosters and also him being so big I’m afraid that he would hurt the pullets/hens as they are all much smaller than him. If anyone in South Florida is interested in a beautiful Jubilee Orpington please let me know. He was purchased from Meyers Hatchery.
P.S. He is free to the only condition is I want him to go to a no kill place and enjoy his life with lots of girls to protect. He doesn’t crow yet.
He is beautiful, but I've already have a high m:f ratio. I really wouldn't be able to add him to the flock without adding more girls. :( I love roosters, and @Miss Lydia knows I'd normally jump at that offer. (I have jubilee, lavender, and Golden laced eng orps too).

If you are not able to rehome him by the time he crows, feel free to reach out to me. I'd rather take him on than he become a nuisance and you're forced to remove him. I know that doesn't help you now, but it's the best I can offer for the time. :(

He is beautiful, but I've already have a high m:f ratio. I really wouldn't be able to add him to the flock without adding more girls. :( I love roosters, and @Miss Lydia knows I'd normally jump at that offer. (I have jubilee, lavender, and Golden laced eng orps too).

If you are not able to rehome him by the time he crows, feel free to reach out to me. I'd rather take him on than he become a nuisance and you're forced to remove him. I know that doesn't help you now, but it's the best I can offer for the time. :(
Thank you so much for answering. He is gorgeous and so far no sign of aggression. Not very friendly even though he’s been babied just like the others. He’s actually afraid of my RIR for now. I am so annoyed that I was very careful to purchase a female and now I have a cockerel in my hands having to find a good home for him. I was hoping to be fairly easy to place him because of his breed but nothing so far. I appreciate it and will keep you posted.

Good morning. Soooo my beautiful boy and I mean really stunning boy started to mate some of my girls. He didn’t start crowing yet which is good and he’s terrified of my RIR, which is kind of entertaining to watch considering he’s twice their size. Are you still interested in giving him a good home? I’ll try and take a recent pic of him today. If he wasn’t so big I may have tried to keep him but even my lavender pullet is small next to him. Thank you so much for considering to give Count Godiva a home.

Back
Top Bottom