FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Good morning everyone from southwest Florida! I'm in between Ft. Myers and Lehigh Acres . I live in a small trailer on the back of a farm. I love it! I have a flock of 6 chickens, a mini vegetable garden, a mini herb garden, and am planning a mini dwarf orchard.
I just had a chick hatch on the 24th of this month. My first! I am such the proud parent. Last night he/she slept the night through, a first for he/she! He/she is just like a baby!

I have read so much on this site already. It's great! I have garlic in my chickens water dishes, fed the older ones yogurt, read about buttermilk, and read about warm oatmeal.
This morning I've read a few posts about swaps. I've never been to one. Do they happen in the fall or (?)

Greetings!
I am not only new to Florida but new to chickens.
Actually I don't have any yet. I'm doing my research in preperation of aquiring some.
Canaveral Groves/Cocoa FL area.

welcome-byc.gif
. To FL &
welcome-byc.gif
to chickens hope you will love both

Quote:
Oh my! That's WAY TOO LOGICAL!! ha!

Actually I'm proud of you for being so responsible and thoughtful. You will have much greater satisfaction and success by knowing what you want and how to care for it. I did the same thing with Silkies. I studied and visited breeders and read BYC along with everything I could find about the breed. Then when I got them I was still a newbie, but my first batch all survived and thrived. Now I'm able to help other newbies with what I've learned. And when they ask something I don't know.....I send them to BYC of course!!!!

Do you have your coop and run set up yet? You can be working on that while you study up on the breeds you want and make plans to get. I don't advise getting stock before you have a coop ready. Otherwise you'll have chickens in a BIG box on your dining room table for several months. Ask me how I know this. By the time they got out to the coop they were SOOOOO spoiled! HA! They see me as the walking treat dispenser and come running when they hear my voice. What a great addiction!

Yes, welcome!!
Equusteacher, the swap will be a great place to learn about raising chickens in Florida! It's a bit of a drive for you, but if you can make it we'd love to see you there! (All of you, for that matter!)

Quote:
I'm going to hatch some eggs for this swap just in case, if nobody wants them, more for meeeeeeee

What are you going to hatch, Nava?

My broody is on two Ameraucana eggs and six Blue Plymouth Rocks. If I have a good hatch and can tell the boys from girls for the Rocks, I may have a few of those for sale. They are Halo's eggs, who has GORGEOUS birds.

Quote:
I'll be hatching Blue Naked Necks, and Blue Orp's and Maybe some GLW and White Rocks, just maybe ( is the girls help out here in a week or so )
I got to try this guy out, so this would be the dad
38176_alex_049.jpg

and one of my new girls
38176_alex_051.jpg

and last but not least my Turkens
love.gif

38176_alex_047.jpg

Back
Top Bottom