FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I love my bantam hens because they all go broody for me. I love my banty roos too, but there's just so many you can keep in one yard without having them fuss & fight. I used to let them roam freely and roost where they wished. Most of them roosted high in a big ficus tree in the corner of the yard, and they were safe there for a few years.

But then some bobcats moved into the area and I lost most of those bantams who roosted in the tree. One cat seemed to prey on them in the evenings, when they'd gather on the fences preparing to fly up into the tree. Another one must have been going up in that tree and grabbing them in the early mornings. Two of those cats were removed, and the third seems to have moved away on its own.

I've moved the surviving bantams into a covered pen, and that's where they stay all day & night. Everyone's getting along nicely, and I don't want to add more roos to that happy group. I typically do not give the broody bantams their own little eggs to incubate, but instead swap eggs from the larger laying flock once the hens show they're serious about setting. I don't like to hatch bantam eggs because then I'm left with this dilemma, extra bantam roos to place. They're not too little to process, but if I can find them homes I'd rather do that.

ItsaZoo32, you should plan a trip to West Palm Beach some time and learn how to process with me. Then you'll have a good use for all the cockerels you hatch.

Quote:
I would LOVE to come learn to process. My husband is a cook and is very interested. We will have to make plans
smile.png

Quote:
Don't you have family in Ft Pierce? Maybe we can coordinate a visit to WPB during one of your visits there. I have 6 roos that need to go soon, I'm thinking about Sat May 7 unless I'm needed by my church instead. That's the Sat before Mother's Day. I'm open to doing it on a week day too, no need to wait for a weekend.

I wish I could have them. I have a white and black chick that may look like yours when she's grown

Does anyone else have chickens that eat love bugs?? My DBF is so excited that the chickens are doing something he finds useful. They're running through the yard like Pacman's gobbling up all the lovebugs. Chicken snacks galore!!

Hey everyone.. I have a hatch DUE this weekend and a stumbled onto a GREAT deal for some eggs and accidentally bought them
hide.gif

Does anyone have a small incubator I could borrow for a little while so I can get these guys started and give my other hatch time to make it into the world?

Also, I am looking for Lavender Americauna hatching eggs or even a few chicks would be fine.. All of the eggs seem to be really expensive or nearly impossible to buy right now. I just want a few please
fl.gif

Thanks!

Quote:
Lavenders are hard to come by unless you want to buy 10-12+ do you have any leads on any currenty? I have a new brinsea but just bought pastel call duck eggs and have 60 quail on the way. If you keep the new eggs on the counter or even in a closet and rotate them left to right until you can set them at the beginning of the week they should be fine. I had my second round of chick eggs resting and loaded them as soon as my hatch of the first chicks was done.

Back
Top Bottom