FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote:
Hey.. what do you mix?

The big recipe is:

50 lbs corn
50 lbs oats
40 lbs alfalfa pellets (Standlee Brand)
35 lbs wild bird seed (the white bag generic stuff at TSC)
25 lbs whole flax seed
20 lbs BOSS
15 lbs cat food (9 Lives Plus Care)

I mix in in a small quantity every other day with a scoop I marked the weights on. I was using a better quality cat food before, but the price was 2.5x the 9 Lives for almost the same protein. That was the hardest part really - finding a soy free cat food with a good protein content to add the animal protein I wanted. I get everything but the flax at TSC so it's fairly convenient too.

WOW.. very cool!! It would take my 12 chickens FOREVER to go through that.. LOL. Perhaps I can find a smaller solution. I like the idea of making your own out of REAL food instead of the processed stuff. Anyone else have a homemade recipe?

Love reading what everyone else feeds. We blend out feed too based on who is eating. Since we feed ducks, geese, quail, peafowl and chickens. We have multiple feed buckets and each morning I go in with the buckets lined up and scoop and mix for each group.

Quail get a small amount of scratch mixed with game bird

Peafowl get scratch, game bird, BOSS and Oats

Ducklings and goslings get game bird, and as they grow we add in chopped greens, oats

Ducks and geese, game bird, flock raiser, oats, BOSS, red wheat, some scratch & fresh greens

Chicks get starter, then blended with some scratch and oats

Game bird comes in many forms, from starter to grower to breeder there is a flight conditioner

Everyone gets watermelon when I have chopped on inside. I buy frozen peas and put them in the pools for the ducks and geese. I watch feathering on the ducks and geese since angel wing and other feathering issues can be traced to feed. I watch the protein levels with them the most.

Almost forgot I buy alpha cubes and soak them in water to give to the ducklings and our calls who are kept off the ground. They love these treats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
If you can find a pigeon feed dealer in your area it makes a really good alternative. They are a great mix of several whole grains, seeds, and legumes and the racing formulas are usually 16-17%.

BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, price jumped again, but makes a huge difference in the geese and the bunnies love them too.

Quote:
That's a great idea!! Any info I can get on the special needs of ducklings is helpful. They are certainly different to raise then chickens LOL

What is BOSS??

Mine love sunflower seeds
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

Hot out there today! Just finished setting up a temp goat stall in the coop and securing feed bins and water buckets in a stall for the geese. They keep saying it is going to turn, so let's hope it does and turns more than they think and avoids the entire eastern seaboard.

HOLY CANOLI! All this rain is bringing flocks of FL's state bird to my front door........ MOSQUITOS! My girls were getting ATTACKED last night (by girls I mean hens).

What does everyone do about the mosquitos? I'm way into organic & anything that won't hurt the birds, obviously, but I'm ready to just spray whatever hardcore stuff I can get my hands on... as long as it won't hurt the birds, of course.

Grumble.grumble.

Heather skitters like shady, damo places, so maybe you need to move you girls a little. I've had to open laying boxes to release the cloud of skitters that want to live in there. You'd think the girls would fest on the nasty little things, but NO.

Back
Top Bottom